• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Adding Sheep to a Cattle Operation

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Reaction score
We just finished a YouTube video on adding sheep to a cattle operation, including a look at the basic economics. I would be curious if you all have any thoughts on the video. What did we miss? Is it helpful to think about? The market for sheep sure looks strong over the next 3 years. Here is the link if you are interested. Adding Sheep to a Cattle Operation

We just finished a YouTube video on adding sheep to a cattle operation, including a look at the basic economics. I would be curious if you all have any thoughts on the video. What did we miss? Is it helpful to think about? The market for sheep sure looks strong over the next 3 years. Here is the link if you are interested. Adding Sheep to a Cattle Operation
You forgot to post the link.
In WY ranches were paid for by sheep years ago.
The old timers used to say "we run sheep for profit and cows for pride."

While sheep offers some potential profits, they can also offer some serious loss. It all depends on your location, pastures, and willingness to add a lot more work to your day. The number one requirement in a large operation for success is a well-trained Great Pyrenees dog. Another good idea is a few goats with the sheep. Sheep can destroy a pasture fast and in a hurry. I always had two fenced pastures and I rotated the sheep weekly. Also, a special barn set up for lambing and shearing time may be necessary. Yes, mineral is very important as FH says.

I would say that good shepherding is about 4 times the work of good beef cattle care. One must be experienced in delivering multiple births as well as breech presentations. If you love your good night's sleep, then sheep ranching isn't for you. Calling a vet during lambing can really take away any profit.

I would advise anyone considering sheep to assess their area's predator situation. Areas where domestic dogs are allowed to run at large can be a real problem. Once good neighbors can become enemies should your Great Pyrenees kill their dog chasing your sheep or you shoot the entire dog pack tearing apart a valuable ewe.

Last edited:
I still run Barbdoes, but it is just to let the flock I had to live out their lives. I made money on them one time in 15 years. Neighbors dogs killed 11 lambs one night. before I put them in a pen next to the house every night. Every lambing we would end up with 3 to 6 orphan lambs. Wife would buy a playpen and we raised them in the house!! We put diapers on them to keep the pen clean!! Had a fortune in diapers and milk replacer. Learned that Tractor supply replacer was crap. Chinese made, they use animal fat for milk fat and heart does not grow, at 9 months bottle babies would die.. I worked a job in town and would carry one in a cage to work with me to feed it. Co-workers would take turns feeding and had a blast. It really got old. I wethered all my rams. 8 rams were all bottle raised as orphans. Have 2 wethers left and about 30 ewes. One time I had over 70 ewes.. There might be money in it, but you need a bunch of kids with small hands.... I am 6'2" and weigh 325, so a breach is not fun for either one of us... Wife's cousin is Vo-Ag teacher. He has goats. Takes orphans to school with him. Kids feed it all day long.

Latest posts