• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

alfalfa grass mix

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
I want to put more alfalfa this spring, but am tired of getting high testing hay.
I was thinking of blending alfalfa and a grass to offset the richness of the hay. Orchard grass is what was suggested at the coop, but other say it is too invasive a species.

any suggestions?

jigs,

Up here I blend a bit of timothy into my hay mix. Its cheap to seed and the cows like it. Also it seems to help the hay dry after you cut it.

We had alfalfa orchard grass mix in W. Montana and loved it. I think you are correct to plant some grass with alfalfa to make it more of a balanced feed.

As far as invasive goes, when it comes time to fertilize, we found using a higher phos fertilizer stimulated the alfalfa over the grass. Of course this was on irrigated ground.

We have been told there is a dryland Orchard Grass but I don't know where you get the seed.

We had timothy and brome grass too, but the orchard grass seemed to be the very best. It also grows back well with some moisture.

I have both orchard grass and fescue mixed with alfalfa in a couple of fields...The one thing I've noticed is that they will stay green late into the fall (long after the alfalfa has gone dormant) and green up and start growing way earlier in the spring- which works good with grazing them...

thanks guys,

the one thing I love most about this forum, is the ability to ask what others have tried from a distance away. our area is so stagnant. everyone does what has been done for a hundred years. all affraid of change. when I mentioned the grass/alfalfa 4 guys went nuts and basically ridiculed me.

they think I am a kook for turning irrigated corn ground back to grass and cows. plus in a black baldie world, I am chasing Herefords.

jigs said:
thanks guys,

the one thing I love most about this forum, is the ability to ask what others have tried from a distance away. our area is so stagnant. everyone does what has been done for a hundred years. all affraid of change. when I mentioned the grass/alfalfa 4 guys went nuts and basically ridiculed me.

they think I am a kook for turning irrigated corn ground back to grass and cows. plus in a black baldie world, I am chasing Herefords.
Jigs- This is a typical attitude of most producers - Cattle or forage. "Whatever worked for neighbor "Josh" in "X" county up the road years ago, By Gonnies, is good enough for me today, and don't NObody try to tell me no differ'nt." I understand the psychology behind this philosophy - it has evolved from 150 years ago when the only knowledge regarding Agriculture came from the oldtimers, and the Land Grant Colleges was just the 'Gub-munt' trying to tell you what to do. It is the "Frontier Spirit" of the pioneers being independent and doing their best to scratch out a living off of the land! And you can't condem that attitude at the time - BUT - times have changed, and the Land Grant Colleges (AG) and the Agricultural Companies, both mechanical Implement and Feed and Seed, have spent literally Billions of dollars to the benefit of the Farmer and Rancher, along with the Government, if you will, to assist and improve ways and methods to elevate the Producer's life style - and they have succeeded! BIG TIME!

NOW - it is incumbent that the modern day Breeder be willing to admit that he can use help and assistance in his BU$INE$$ - and swallow his pride and arrogance - and help himself and his family by LEARNING and PUTTING INTO PRACTICE those things that he has, perhaps, criticized in the past. I have often said, "There are none so blind as those who look - but REFUSE to see - and none so deaf as those who listen - but REFUSE to hear."

Here is an example right here on our Forum Family! Soapweed has a much better and bigger than average Beef operation, and works it with a minimum of extra labor other than his family and Saddletramp for help. Picture what kind of a spread he would have if it were back in pre-WWII days! Of course, most of you don't have a clue what kind of a tough life that was - - but I do - - and Thank GOD I was fortunate enough to have a Father and an Uncle who insisted that I get an Education and LEARN something besides - and THAT is why I keep harping on you people to do the same thing! There are too many GREAT ideas out 'THERE' to let them all blow away with the wind because you are too stubborn to accept something, ANYthing, that is new! Improve your life - and be thankful for the help from someone who is willing to give it to you!

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

well Doc, my momma would love to read that!

I always went down to Manhattan, mom thought I should sign up for classes, but all I ever did was go to Aggieville! to this day she insists that I wasted myself by not going to college. but my kids won't get to make that same mistake!

Latest posts