• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Almost Haying Time in Alabama!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Last two weeks have been getting haying equipment ready for the season.
Bearings (John Deere, of course the most expensive, gag) $40 - 60 each, 2 belts for hay cutters were over $150 each, blades, knives, etc. Filters for tractors, oil, tank of fuel, twine etc.

Well, sat down and added up all the expenses on equipment and it came to the exact amount of the two cull cows I sold last week. To the penny.

Hope to be cutting the first part of next week, maybe it will be warm enough for it to cure.

Mike - with the price of fuel up 50% over last year it looks like it will cost an extra $1.50-1.75/bale.

If we don't get a little rain this month these fields won't hit their average bales/ac and that will drive the cost up even more.

we have 250 acres on the ground, and the old machine layed down.....hoping that the dealership will have the new one delivered by this afternoon......only 850 more acres to go!

went with the new 18 ft rotary head from New Holland. 230 hp. kind of the " Tim Allen " version of swathers!

jigs said:
we have 250 acres on the ground, and the old machine layed down.....hoping that the dealership will have the new one delivered by this afternoon......only 850 more acres to go!

went with the new 18 ft rotary head from New Holland. 230 hp. kind of the " Tim Allen " version of swathers!

Jigs-Whoa! Thats probably out of my league. We use the pull-behind disc cutters with crimpers. What kind of hay you cutting? Tell me about that machine.

sp- Rain has not been our problem. Too much. Cool weather has held us back this spring. This time last year I was finished with hay.

Mike: I am going to try and cut some friday afternoon. The weather does not call for rain for 6 days so I may get it dry if the weather man keeps his word. I am not cutting much though. I try not to put too much on the ground the first cutting so I can work the bugs out of the equipment.
Dang Jigs. 1100 acres is alot of hay on the ground at one time. Good luck.

we got hay on the ground now...got half of it baled last night after dark. and yes...werkin on gittin the bugs out....always somethin..I had to quite rakin cuz...I looked back to look at my perdy lil windrow..and seen sparks comin off the rake...YES SPARKS I SAY ~!!! Don't ask what kinda rake it is lmao it's the one noah used after the flood. And the baler aint much better. but least we're not payin someone else to bale it for us now.

And I"mma firm believer that them hay equipment bugs....even after ya git em werked out...daggumit if they aint laid eggs in there that hatch out the next go round ~!!!

1100 acres on the ground for first cutting ain't so bad.... no need to screw around with the first cutting, all that does is cost you the fifth !!!
Just keep the swather running and the baler will keep up. It's the getting it home and under a roof that is hard.

Just got the new rig at noon yesterday.......ssssssssssssssssswweeeeeet !
it sure is a hay eater! it is a New Holland 365, 230 horse ,18 ft rotary head. was dropping alfalfa at 11.5 mph and it cut off real nice, except where the frost hurt the hay, it did not want to pick up very well there. has a little computer in it to figure acres/hr I averaged 19.6 for the afternoon, and while running it spiked up to 24.3 !! that is a lot of hay!

the ride is really improved too. air seat, the cab is air ride, and the rear axles are on an air bag system. Pivot tracks still bang pretty hard though, but it sure smoothed it out.

if you have the need, or the means, I really recommend one.

Or better yet, you all sell your hay equip. and buy hay from me!!!

Jigs if i bought one of those swathers I would have to sell the farm and the cattle to make the down payment for it and then I would not have anyplace to use it. And running at 11 MPH would be hard to get stoped to turn around on my hay patches. I cut with a 7 foot cutter at 5.5 MPH. that is as fast as I can go and stay on the tractor without getting bounced off.
I think I will cut a 3 acre patch of clover and a 2.5 acre patch of clover and rye this evening and bale on Sunday evening or Monday just to try and get all the bugs worked out. I would say the odds are about evening that I will be buying parts on Monday and finish bailing on Tuesday evening. That is if the rain holds off.
BTW I have to stop bailing before sunset when the due starts to fall and wait till after lunch when it burnes off to get started again. No night bailing for me.

yes the machine is expensive.....the old saying " gotta spend money to make money" sure don't hold true these days... more like " gotta borrow money to spend money"

Latest posts