• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another dead deer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
So last night the dogs barked and barked. Wife said they were barking at 3:00 in the morning. At 6:30 she went out with a flashlight. Came back and said she saw a coyote run off. When I went out to feed at daylight I let the dogs out and they ran to the west field. I walked out there to see what was up. Blood and gore all over the place. A few remaining deer parts but not many. Didn't see any cat tracks just coyotes. Left a message with the neighbor. He came over this afternoon. We back tracked the attack. It looks like coyotes attacked a deer (spring fawn) on the east side of the house (60-70 feet from the house). At one point the deer was in the backyard maybe 30 feet from the house. Lots of blood there. Found where they finally took the deer down by the corner of the shop. There is a trail where they drug the deer eating on it. The only thing left was the portion of the spine with some ribs attached. That was 200 feet from the kill site. They ate the whole deer. Must have been half a dozen of them to be able to eat that much.
Pic #1 The final kill site
Pic#2 The trail where they drug the deer. That sticking up to the right of the dogs is the spine and ribs.
Pic#3 At the kill site I turned and took a picture of the house. That is how close this was and this is about the farthest point in the whole attack from the house.

P1033074.JPG
P1033075.JPG

P1033076.JPG

Yesterday evening just before dark I walked out of the house past the shop. Tippy chased some deer and on fawn came around the bale processor and just about ran into me before ducking under the fence. This morning what looked like the same fawn came running back towards the yard, My daughter drove in a couple minutes later and said a coyote was back where the fawn came from.
Tammy watched from the bedroom window one night when some coyotes cornered a deer in the yard, She went out and let out a yell and the coyote took off. The deer seem to like pawing the lawn grass and rubbing on our poor little struggling evergreens.

Dang song dogs. You need to thin them down Webby. Big Muddy can give you pointers on whittling down coyotes. And also amateur taxidermy in lifelike poses. 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😂😂😂😂
Well I'm not baiting them in as I let my dog out first thing in the morning and don't really want 9 coyotes waiting for him. Didn't have a house dog before and the others were in a kennel or locked in the barn for the night.
I don't suppose Webfoot has seen my taxidermy work. Wonder if I can find it and bring it forward.

Well I'm not baiting them in as I let my dog out first thing in the morning and don't really want 9 coyotes waiting for him. Didn't have a house dog before and the others were in a kennel or locked in the barn for the night.
I don't suppose Webfoot has seen my taxidermy work. Wonder if I can find it and bring it forward.
I hope you can find it.

I saw your fine art work with coyotes. I was a registered member here for years but unable to post anything for some reason. So I was a registered lurker. It wasn't until I retired from my day job that I took the time to figure out the issue.

son-in-law, running a trap line, caught a bushytailed wood rat, nice bob cat and couple days ago a big yote.
couple weeks ago, Hank the LGD, chased one down thru the creek he got a good deep bite on him right behind the shoulders. The yote went thru the cows and we got the dog to stay away from the cows, Donny shot him, let the fleas get off and dragged him home that night. yeah, the big deep dog bite would been too much to sew up.

Last edited:
Bert was here this morning. He said in the last 20 years he figured he lost one or two calves to coyotes. Last year they shot 3 coyotes off calves where the calf was still alive. Seems like the coyotes are getting more aggressive and packing up more.

In SW Montana the coyotes were very bold. They would try to lure your dogs away when you were riding horseback. In WY if you saw a coyote it was on the next ridge over, heading out.
Our neighbor had to have the state come and fly his place to kill the coyotes. He calved right at the bottom of the mountains and they were eating calves when the cows were not done calving. It was awful. They flew and did get a bunch of coyotes. Then they did it again the next year.

In SW Montana the coyotes were very bold. They would try to lure your dogs away when you were riding horseback. In WY if you saw a coyote it was on the next ridge over, heading out.
Our neighbor had to have the state come and fly his place to kill the coyotes. He calved right at the bottom of the mountains and they were eating calves when the cows were not done calving. It was awful. They flew and did get a bunch of coyotes. Then they did it again the next year.
we fly my old place every spring with good snow cover. here our trapper also the county gunner, everytime they fly they either go down or up Cabin Creek.

Latest posts