• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anybody familiar with Arrow 8500

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Traveler

Reaction score
Needed a new chute at a set of corrals where there is no electricity, and not necessarily access to a tractor, and didn't want to mess with hydraulics every time we had to use it. So bought an Arrow 8500 yesterday, and after the check was written, the salesmen said to make sure and keep the cam mechanisms clean and never put any type of oil on them or they won't work. Just clean them with brake cleaner or carb cleaner and they'll be wonderful for years to come (paraphrasing). The headcatch, squeeze, and head holder work with these "cam mechanisms". Does anyone know if they're problematic, or have any experience with them. Should have asked first, going about this ass backwards. :oops: Video doesn't show the actual mechanism, and I can't find one that does. At least it has a warranty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYAH6hT2hE

Yep..

We've got 2 of them and are very pleased with them. Heavy well built units, no complaints.

Same as our Qcatch from Lakeland. They are FANTASTIC. Very little maintenance and catch everything from calves to bulls.

So no problems with the cam mechanisms, evidentually? Do you ever have to clean them with carb or brake cleaner, something else, or just use 'em?

Thanks!

Never touched ours either. Just a tip for using it though; when letting an animal out you really need to commit to opening it all the way. Don't change your mind part way through or you can find the animal caught part way out and you will not be able to release until the pressure somehow comes off. You will only do this once or twice though.
I think it's the nicest head gate I've been around, I bet you like it.

Any complaints about their adjustable alley ways? I like their design for the most part. Kinda question the sliding door stops. Nice idea. I like the curved rod etc. Not crazy about the drop down no backs either. Just like something more automatic I guess.

They are flogging them everywhere even here in Australia . Price is $8500 and I guess the rails will rust after a time . Any oil would tend to let them slip which is not what you want. I took some photos of that mechanism when I was building mine . See if I can find them.

I like the easy release/engage mechanism on the bail operating lever and will modify the silly thing I have on mine.

I use an oil locker on mine but that has its issues too. The latest one I used someones old one that leaked and had been unscrewed to check and not tightened back up so here I was trying to keep the bails closed on a 700 kilo beast by holding the arm down and trying to tie a rope round it to hold it. Frustrating . Fortunately the balance were weaners and I was able to hold it in against them easily to get the rope on.

Ive tried to use photo bucket for a tractor site. I cant get it to work, but Im not Bill Gates either.

They don't have the 8500 anymore, but the 86 Series looks pretty slick. Rubber floors and everything. Here's the link, in case anybody wants to check it out.

https://youtu.be/pruik3GReGk

I bought a 8500 two years ago and have really liked it. After watching the video about the new model, I would say they have made a good thing even better. Wish this year was the year of $1600 calves so I could use a write off!

Latest posts