• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

April 20, 2016

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Local%20saddlemaker_zpszicwc3nb.jpg

Local saddle maker

And%20the%20great%20using%20saddles%20he%20makes_zpsmq96edyo.jpg

And the great saddles he makes

A%20dandy%20little%20lion_zps4kkjxck5.jpg

A dandy little lion

Aint%20that%20ducky_zpsl9mu113k.jpg

Ducky

Cows%20on%20the%20feed%20row_zpsje1oxyqi.jpg

Cattle on the feed row

Enjoying%20life_zpstucslhfy.jpg

Enjoying life

Having%20a%20hay%20day_zpsw1lmvug1.jpg

Having a hay day

Being%20mischievious_zps3hgxngve.jpg

Being mischievous

Feed%20outfit_zpskojlbxur.jpg

Feed outfit

You%20cant%20see%20me_zpsqfjwurqp.jpg

You can't see me now.

Ambling%20in%20for%20a%20reward_zpse4kq3dae.jpg

Ambling in for a reward. They think it's their entitlement.

Theres%20a%20little%20grass%20but%20they%20still%20like%20hay_zpsmlpkddag.jpg

There's a little grass, but they still come to hay.

Still%20water%20can%20run%20shallow_zpsp0hsfvcv.jpg

Still water can run shallow, too.

Windmill%20on%20the%20hill_zpsylakkyjq.jpg

Windmill on the hill

Strutting%20along%20with%20her%20nose%20in%20the%20air%20and%20her%20tail%20over%20the%20dashboard_zps2gxrvved.jpg

Strutting along with her nose in the air and her tail over the dashboard

Cow%20down%20in%20the%20drink_zpswkoaqke5.jpg

Cow upside down in the drink

Swirls%20and%20girls_zpszvl4kmar.jpg

Swirls and girls

Waning%20day_zpsvmwlcjst.jpg

Waning day

Feeling%20good_zps8ivpcngn.jpg

Feeling good

First%20steps_zpsei9amcgs.jpg

First steps

Looking%20for%20love%20in%20all%20the%20wrong%20places_zps0zay02fv.jpg

Looking for love in all the wrong places

Found%20it_zpsbcxcppr5.jpg

Found love at last

Your saddle maker could be a twin to the maker in Williams Lake. They are very similar in looks and talent.

Envious of your moisture but our turn will come. Thanks again Soapweed.

That isn't my pal Mike at Short Go Saddlery, is it Soap? I haven't seen Mike in a few years, but the gray hair and the stache are throwing me a bit.

Soap, did you ever own or lay your eyes on any saddles built by Wes Fuesner? I think I spelled the last name right. He had a saddle shop in Ogallala a long time ago. Sandhills Saddlery, I recall. For some reason I'm thinking he may have originated in Imperial, but I don't know why. My Dad always thought that Wes built a really good saddle, but he never owned one. I always liked my Ralph Shimon saddle real well,

There are a lot of well built saddles out there and many with probably better craftsmanship than Ralph's saddles but dang they ride nice.
I haven't seen the old Shimon saddles but my vintage saddle the quality was slipping a bit.

I towed a huge travel trailer out to Kimball, NE years ago for a guy. When I dropped the trailer I blasted on out to Torrington to see Ralph's saddles and shop. He was quite a character and no doubt a tough SOB. I was impressed enough I ordered one and had it in about two weeks or so. Comparable saddles at the time, maybe just a tad fancier, were running 2 1/2 to 3 times the price of Ralph's saddles, with a months long wait time. Ralph told me the only thing anybody else did on the saddles was to string them, done sometimes by a hired man when it rained or was too cold to do much outside. Other than that, he did it all himself.

I think he finally resorted to some south-of-the-border fellows. We had a friend that had a Ralph Shimon saddle. It did not fit ANYTHING. It was always hiked up in the back, regardless of what blanket you used or what horse you put it on. He did take it back, and he should have. That thing was junk. I think that was about the time of the southern (way southern) guys.

loomixguy said:
That isn't my pal Mike at Short Go Saddlery, is it Soap? I haven't seen Mike in a few years, but the gray hair and the stache are throwing me a bit.

Soap, did you ever own or lay your eyes on any saddles built by Wes Fuesner? I think I spelled the last name right. He had a saddle shop in Ogallala a long time ago. Sandhills Saddlery, I recall. For some reason I'm thinking he may have originated in Imperial, but I don't know why. My Dad always thought that Wes built a really good saddle, but he never owned one. I always liked my Ralph Shimon saddle real well,

No, this isn't Mike. This is Randy Gropper from Martin. Here is a link to his business: http://www.bennettcountyboostersd.com/news/2174-gropper-saddlery-rides-into-martin

I've heard of Wes Fuesner saddles, but have never seen any. They have a good reputation.

I have had three Ralph Shimon saddles since 1974, and my current saddle is one of them. They fit me fine; they fit a horse fine; and I like them very well. Even though in my older age, my mount of choice now is a Polaris Ranger, I have put on a lot of miles horseback through the years. A good share of these miles were spent in the seat of a Shimon saddle. Under the saddle, I always used a double Navajo blanket over the top of a pad. The Shimon saddles that I have used have never sored a horse. One day I rode a hundred miles, using five different horses. Even though I was stiff after this deal, the saddle didn't make me sore. The horses weren't sore either. Peach was along on that ride, and she was riding a Harry Adams saddle (which was made in Valentine, NE). It worked fine also.

I need to put in a good word for Ralph Shimon. He is a very interesting person and a legendary saddle maker. He advertised in The Western Horseman for 55 years, and has definitely left his mark on the American West.
http://nilevalleysaddlery.com/saddles/

Latest posts