• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Back in Bizness

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mytfarms

Reaction score
Been out of the cow deal for nearly 4 years. Out of the horse deal for a year and half. Hadn't had a dog in nearly 3 years. Be back in all 3, plus chicks, before the end of March.

Set me to thinking pretty hard about things, especially the old forums and the new Facebook groups where people get together and argue and dump on each other.

If I told you what kind of work schedule I was keeping, how many miles I'm putting on a week, or what color(s) and/or gender(s) I have in my trader cattle pen, it would be grounds for dismissal! :LOL:

As it is, I'm plumb ashamed to post a photo until I get them to the "after" stage of before and after. But just because they're sorry, cheap, and probably too high anyway because the entire market is on crack and just one plant fire away from imploding, it doesn't mean I'm not proud of them. I haven't put lousy feed in front of sorry critters for 3 winters, and I don't think it helped me any. Having all that "free time." Sadly, a lot of time blown in a bottle or on the phone. So tonight, I drove through ice and snow and put on a bunch of miles to load up some of the ugliest creatures Winter Live had to offer and added them to my collection of misfit bovines. Fed 'em a little treat of alfalfa on the cane hay and watched them come to feed and eat and blow steam in the moonlight.

If I get a little horse training out of them, I'll be thrilled. If I make some money, there'll be congrats all around. If I lose my shirt, and maybe my pants too, I'm one happy camper once again.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're made to do something, maybe go on ahead and do it best you can even if everyone else thinks you're nuts. If nothing else, my wife gets to see more smiles, I have more purpose, and some poor bottom of the barrel creatures got to come to a place where we take damn good care of them and are proud they wear that wavy MYT on their skinny ribs.

Happy winter's evening to all y'all. ~MYT

Thanks FH! I think you folks that have stuck around are just about the best I've ever interacted with. I just think back to Cattle Today and some of the other whizzing matches on here and other places when they were really popular. I like to see people trying! Even if they need a little guidance.

Dad complained about hide colors. I also politely suggested fat covers a multitude of wrongs. They're all good eating suckers. Just kind of cruising them along until the green pops. While I'm afraid they aren't on a good Vigortone program, they are getting plenty access to salt and mineral. Might not be perfect, but judging by condition, they're all feasting compared to their old homes!

Our old neighbor used to say "feed"s the breed."
Soapweed always expressed how he wanted his cattle to look good.
You are including mineral with their forage so that's a bonus for them. Keep on keeping on!
Thanks FH! I think you folks that have stuck around are just about the best I've ever interacted with. I just think back to Cattle Today and some of the other whizzing matches on here and other places when they were really popular. I like to see people trying! Even if they need a little guidance.

Dad complained about hide colors. I also politely suggested fat covers a multitude of wrongs. They're all good eating suckers. Just kind of cruising them along until the green pops. While I'm afraid they aren't on a good Vigortone program, they are getting plenty access to salt and mineral. Might not be perfect, but judging by condition, they're all feasting compared to their old homes!

Put fresh irons, tags, and some vaccinations into the new recruits the other night. Hard to brand in twilight, but judging in the daylight, most of the irons should be legible. The earlier purchases seemed to respond well to a jab of MultiMin 90 and taking it easy. Made sure all my "steers" were steers. Got some good banders and knife cutters in the world seems like. Appears everyone is enjoying their new feed and dwellings. Got free choice salt and mineral, plus a skiff of DDG in a bunk to start getting them used to the concept.

Not much to do now except watch 'em grow. Hoping to find a couple more "friends" to complete the circus show for the summer grass. Probably put some two's and three's together to send back to the market this fall if they grow up into nice, long haired yearlings.

One funny thing I made note of was hide thickness. My dairy influence steers are paper thin hided. My formerly "long horned" heifers have neck hide that I couldn't hardly jab through with a brand new needle. They were also less friendly to new ear decoration and hide art than the Jersey looking ones. Amazes me how those breed characteristics follow through for generations.

Latest posts