• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bad Ass

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Homesteader

Reaction score
A couple from Montana were out riding on the range, he with his rifle and she (fortunately) with her camera. Their dogs always followed them, but on this occasion a Mountain Lion decided that he wanted to stalk the dogs (you'll see the dogs in the background watching). Very, bad decision...

The hunter got off the mule with his rifle and decided to shoot in the air to scare away the lion, but before he could get off a shot the lion charged in and decided he wanted a piece of those dogs. With that, the mule took off and decided he wanted a piece of that lion. That's when all hell broke loose... for the lion.

As the lion approached the dogs the mule snatched him up by the tail and started whirling him around. Banging its head on the ground on every pass. Then he dropped it, stomped on it and held it to the ground by the throat. The mule then got down on his knees and bit the thing all over couple of dozen times to make sure it was dead, than whipped it into the air again, walked back over to the couple (that were stunned in silence) and stood there ready to continue his ride... as if nothing had just happened.

Fortunately even though the hunter didn't get off a shot, his wife got off these 4
mule_1.jpeg

mule2.jpeg

mule3.jpeg

mule4.jpeg

We've gotten this email a number of times....where did it really happen? Each email was a different place, but same story.

I would like to have a mule like that here!!!

the photo is real butthe story is false the mule is owned by a lion hunter over the past few years the mule stared acting more bizarre after a kill until one day it actually picked up the mule and ran and played with it.
for the truth read about it at www.snopes.com

cowpuncher21 said:
the photo is real butthe story is false the mule is owned by a lion hunter over the past few years the mule stared acting more bizarre after a kill until one day it actually picked up the mule and ran and played with it.
for the truth read about it at www.snopes.com

Thats sounds much better--as that doesn't look like a cowpunchers rig and those dogs look more like lion dogs than cowdogs.....

Still probably wouldn't have to worry much about your horse herd if you had that mule around.....

This is why donkeys and mules make such good "watch dogs" for goats and sheep. They will protect what they love, and they love whatever they are pastured with. I have a small jenny and I've seen her chase coyotes out of the pasture with both front feet just flyin..........And woe be to any stray dog that gets close to her goats, she goes to kill something. She would like to get ahold of my dogs because she doesn't like them around me, but I won't let her. She keeps her ears pinned and circles me though, staying between me and them. I don't care what the story behind these pictures is, a full grown mule is a formidable opponent.
P.J.

This is a "Little Bad Ass".

She's three months old, and the same size as Zelda the dog. :shock: :shock: :D :D :D I always let a young dog learn this with a baby, it's a much less dangerous way to learn dog/donkey etiquette. Knowing not to bother the donkeys can be a real life saving skill for a dog. :!: The adults do not just chase dogs like the babies do, especially my jack. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Needless to say our dogs do not try and herd donkeys. :shock: They are much too wise for that.

1000pixelRunZelda.jpg

Kato said:
This is a "Little Bad Ass".

She's three months old, and the same size as Zelda the dog. :shock: :shock: :D :D :D I always let a young dog learn this with a baby, it's a less dangerous way to learn dog/donkey etiquette. Knowing not to bother the donkeys can be a real life saving skill for a dog. :!: Needless to say our dogs do not try and herd donkeys.

1000pixelRunZelda.jpg

I know a couple of border collies that should come for a visit and learn some manners. :D

Naa... they actually attract attention. :roll: :roll: We get Sunday drivers going by every week in the summer.

A BEWARE OF BULL sign would work well though! :D :D :D :D :D

Like that old joke about the sign in the pasture that says "Stay out unless you can cross this pasture in less than one minute, because that's how fast the bull can do it." :wink:

You folks that have been cussing border collie dogs must not have ever had a good one or one that is trained. You can't go get one of these dogs and not put the time in on them that it takes to make them useful. It is a disservice to them as well as yourself. I have had these dogs all my life and would'nt trade for one. I have used them on everything from ducks to bucking bulls.

I agree that the Border Collie is a super dog! My son has a half border collie, and she's as smart as they come. A natural cattle dog too, but we really have to watch to make sure she doesn't get herself in a bind around here.

It would be a real waste of a good dog for us to have a border collie. I realize just how smart they are, but they really really want to work, and there is no margin for error with donkeys around.

Much safer to have a lower drive dog. :D

The bull operation I was around a few years ago used donkies to break the bulls to lead. Colts too.

Latest posts