• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

bale decks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
I see that some manufacturers are offering "pivot squeeze" and "parallel squeeze" options on their bale deck's. Does one style work better than the other? why?

I think the "pivot squeeze" is most desirable, but this is just my opinion. With the pivot squeeze, the bale can turn more freely. With the parallel squeeze, the arm can come against the side of the bale which inhibits the bale rotation.

Soapweed said:
I think the "pivot squeeze" is most desirable, but this is just my opinion. With the pivot squeeze, the bale can turn more freely. With the parallel squeeze, the arm can come against the side of the bale which inhibits the bale rotation.
+1 IMO A pivot arm bed is much more versatile

I agree with the pivot arms being handier. A belt driven pump is also a good idea. One company, with the leading pump tech, has switched from clamp to pivot arms. Not the brand I use, but there was a reason. I get along fine with same brand that is pictured on this forum regularly. Pivoting arms and a couple light chains will haul an ATV real easy.

I leave two nylon straps attached to my ATV all the time and slip those of the spinners and load mine daily, it's so much easier than using ramps or pulling a trailer.

PureCountry said:
The old orange Jiffy handlers were/are still good that way, pivoting arms, rotate freely. Hope I can buy my Grandads' now that he's sold his cows at age 86. lol

so far i have managed to collect 3 of them...only one mounted right now and it seem's to do the job well..it's electric over hydraulic and was pretty stiff in the cold until i put a couple of magnetic oil pan heaters on the tank,problem solved. the other 2 are belt drive pumps and are just waiting 'til i find some decent older trucks to mount them on.

was just wondering if the parallel squeeze ones were better at some thing's over the pivot ones

Thank-you all for the replies

Hayguy said:
PureCountry said:
The old orange Jiffy handlers were/are still good that way, pivoting arms, rotate freely. Hope I can buy my Grandads' now that he's sold his cows at age 86. lol

so far i have managed to collect 3 of them...only one mounted right now and it seem's to do the job well..it's electric over hydraulic and was pretty stiff in the cold until i put a couple of magnetic oil pan heaters on the tank,problem solved. the other 2 are belt drive pumps and are just waiting 'til i find some decent older trucks to mount them on.

"was just wondering if the parallel squeeze ones were better at some thing's over the pivot ones"

Thank-you all for the replies
about the only thing I can think of is like a broken bale---you can grab the whole thing, not just the center. Maybe if a guy had wrapped bales---and left the spinner off?

Our first was an old dew ese---parallel===it did have down pressure to where you could change a tire or hoist yourself outa a badger hole---but we've gone to two hydrabeds and never looked back-----simple and outlast multiple pickups.

the only thing i would like is extendable arm's, so that i could dump the bale into a feeder

the newer flat deck type are sure nice in that the bale handler doesn't tie up the deck of the truck or the goosenck hitch

Hayguy said:
I see that some manufacturers are offering "pivot squeeze" and "parallel squeeze" options on their bale deck's. Does one style work better than the other? why?

I don't have a bale bed, but wished I did.

Something to think about: my brother had a hydra bed and used it several years on 2 different pickups. He had bent the spinners doing things it wasn't made to do. Then it had a major problem. He needed to use it and didn't want to wait for parts to get shipped. He drove to where it was made. They pulled it in and repaired it while he waited. He also asked them to replace the spinners.
When it was fixed, he went in to settle up. They told him "no charge", even for the spinners.

That pickup died. (It was bought brand new) and he need a working unit, so just traded the whole thing for another pickup that already had a different brand bale bed on it. He says the new one is not built as well and is starting to have problems with lots less use than his old one.

Latest posts