• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Brought my cows home early

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Well in the time I've been away from this site, a few things have changed. But the constant is it's dry out here as always. Grass is in tough shape and with no rain since May I brought my cows home early. They look pretty good for the year but the grass comes first. Have them on a meadow now til I wean in a few weeks. Here's a few pics . Kept one bull calf intact. He looks pretty good. I'll send more pics in a few weeks when I wean
4C7C36B9-7794-4157-9CC6-055C306325F3.jpeg
F11FD791-4DC3-4023-A341-DF90D8A33F0D.jpeg
5E0B3646-5A6B-40FF-AFC5-82EBBCC1DDA2.jpeg

Littlest H ain't little no more. He is a strapping 14 year old and a freshman in high school. He is a wrestler and tougher than woodpecker lips. And a hunting machine. Pretty fair hand with cows as well. I let the kids go gather up a wayward steer for a neighbor. I rode the wheeler around til I found him. And they gathered him up and loaded him in the stock trailer without a corral. I couldn't be prouder of them.
B8E4C164-814C-4BCC-8663-47417699DE70.jpeg
886CB1C2-93A2-45AD-99A7-4C3A5751F7FB.jpeg
1F60EC81-04BC-4704-A1B8-13A548044E49.jpeg

They look to be very well mounted, Little H in particular. You know which horse is better. My money says it depends on the day.

Great looking family and a neat operation, H. You're blessed with living the good life.

Thanks folks. The Good Lord has blessed my life in more ways than I can count. I try to express my thanks daily. I need one or two more good geldings. My old Mare "Reba" is retired and will spend her days living the good life. These two horses are good ponies but getting some age too. I need to add a couple more younger horses. I'll try and post more often now than it's much easier to post pictures and use the I-phone. I've missed you bunch of hooligans and I don't participate in facecrap.

I have never thought face plant was a good idea, good way to run into something staring at a screen. A baler monitor is most of the screen I need, except for the one that has Ranchers.net on the other side. Maybe something old can be new again, I sure hope so. Thanks for posting H

Spent the morning looking for elk. The kids each have a bull and cow tag. No elk harmed but enjoyed another mountain morning with my amigos
F71B4043-5A96-4891-85CB-7E3D26957D3D.jpeg
The view in an old burn. Can see clear til tomorrow
AE9EE0F4-B73A-4D47-B171-F8E96E6EAC19.jpeg
And spent this afternoon setting up and hauling water. I have lots of feed in this pasture. It's a meadow but no water. I developed a spring but it's quit. I dug it up and it's dried up nicely. So I'll haul water ever night. And when it starts freezing I'll bring them home and fork hay.
E9F56F20-9A55-4067-9AB6-1FCD5BC51D4A.jpeg

Cows go there, or already on scene? I'll be hauling some water to stalks this winter. Kinda takes some planning depending on the thermometer, my record to date is minus 26 for a low. Cows drank, as planned, but weren't thirsty. Sure bunches up calving in a day. We don't get enough snow to rely on for water in winter graze. Last year was my favorite, broke ice on a creek with a spade, and put gas in a generator for the other bunch. Will be about 5 bunches this year, at least. Let it stay dry, nothing will grow til spring anyhow.

Latest posts