• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cowboy Chili Feed at Faye's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
I had an old Texas cowboy over for chili last afternoon. He asked if my chili would make him fart. "Darn tootin," I replied.

I should have had him over for chili at high noon. We could have had a toot out at the Ol Fay corral.

"Where did you cook these cow punchin beans." He asked? "On the range silly," I replied.

The poor old fart was bankrupt but he didn't complain since he didn't have any beef.

He was an old retired range rider. I just called him de-ranged.

He was coughing and said he got covid from his old horse, a retired saddle bronc. I said no worries you have bronc-itis.

He said he was going as a ghost for Halloween to show off his new boo-ts.

I asked why he was considering a dachshund instead of a big ranch dog. He said because he preferred gittin a-long little doggie.

He was an 85-year-old Texas ranch dinosaur in his cowboy hat and boots. I call him Tyrannosaurus Tex.

He asked if I believed old Texas cowboys come back in another form after they die. I said yes, it is called reintarnation.

He left early due to a hitch in his gitty up.

It is makin chili day here with me, myself, and Fay
Prime marbled chuck beef cubed and sliced
With chili pepper and tomato cut and diced

The tomato, chili, and seasoned browned beef not lean, all simmering with pinto bean
There is nothin like makin a chuckwagon chili to get a cowboy to call me Hunny
And protect my reputation as a ranch woman, not a buckle-chasing bunny

Many a pot of chili in my past and escapin a cowboys grasp
And now my lookin for a rancher has flown this old hens coop
So now you know about MC's chili and all that happy scoop ;)

Just in case you think I'm dead, later I will mix up Jalapeno corn bread
I hear from those with married roots, about how their husband toots
I don't think cowboy poetry would exist without beans
And female ranch hands wearing fitted denim jeans

4 hours on heat low to go.
Simmering to perfection
A sure thing for cowboy election

FF chili.jpg

Truth be told I was lazy yesterday and simplified the recipe, but it was my best-tasting chili ever.

I put 1 LB untrimmed cubed prime chuck beef in the olive oil-treated skillet and covered it with McCormick's gourmet hamburger seasoning and chili powder. I turned it and seasoned the other side the same then, browned it. The smell was divine! Then I added a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with diced medium hot chili peppers. one 14 oz can tomato sauce, 2 14 oz cans drained pinto beans, and then let it simmer for 8 hours. The beef was mouth-melting tender and the flavor was amazing with a mild burn. Simple and my best chili ever.

don't use powder here, I start with the dry chili pods, roast a bit in a frying pan, seed then mix up with water and soak, drain then into a blender and then cook down than add salt, or touch of sugar depending on taste. No Tomatoes added. now green chili is green chilies

Last edited:
Absolutely Jody. I get more flavor in beef by browning the spices on it before adding the liquid. While lamb does soak up more flavor than beef and I may get blacklisted and mocked for saying this, goat makes the best chili even superior to lamb. I use to sell all my beef and lamb and eat yearling goat. The reason I don't use lamb is that what they call lamb around here that is semi-affordable tastes like mutton gone bad. Dirty wool socks would give the same flavor.

One of the lady meat cutters told me that she had a few racks of fine lamb but it would cost me my husband's arm and a leg. I told her she could have my entire husband if I had one. :ROFLMAO: Needless to say, I left with a well-marbled chuck roast.

Latest posts