• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

disc mowers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rustynail

Reaction score
what kind of disc mowers does everybody use?
I am looking at buying a used Fella SM320, looks to be in very good shape for $3,750.
what do ya think? :???:

G3

i use a 946 john deere....I just started on 2nd cutting today and was going 12 mph through the whole thing....knifes are simple to change and last a long time...they are a very simple machine

we run an 18 foot New Holland. drop a 1/4 section of irrigated hay in 9 hours. little pricey, but it will out cut two sickle machines, an not even break a sweat!

What ya need is one of those Krone or Class ones Jigs.. You know, the self propelled with the drop down mowers on the side.. Sure they probably cost as much as a combine but the Class one goes 45 mph down the highway :lol: :lol:

IL Rancher said:
What ya need is one of those Krone or Class ones Jigs.. You know, the self propelled with the drop down mowers on the side.. Sure they probably cost as much as a combine but the Class one goes 45 mph down the highway :lol: :lol:

they had the big one from Class at Husker Harvest Days a few years ago. it dwarfed a combine!! cut like a 40 ft swath !
the guy there said in a trial in Idaho they swathed for 3 hours, and it took 3 of the big Jaguar choppers and a fleet of trucks to pick it up in a day. I thought he said it was like 80 acres an hour! but we do not need a $400,000 swather!

the new holland was $115,000 list, and I thought that was ridiculous!

Neighbor runs a New Holland self propelled one.. It is nice but he sure has had problems with the hydrolics on the header.. It might list for that much but he got it for a lot less.. I think he is on his third, he runs his stuff for two years and trades it in, keeps trying to sell me his used stuff. I told my wife that he has an odd way of selling equipment to me as in he complaines about it for two or three years, beats the heck out of it, and than offers it to me and wonders why I chuckle and say no thanks..

400k for the class one? yowza.. I saw it on the History Channel and I drove past one and a group of Jaguar choppers someplace out west once.. We don't have too many dealers near here but they role through one of the bigger auctions around here and tend to go cheap.. To hard to get worked on if someting goes wrong, just like the Cat Combines that used to be made by Class (Well, based on their design).

They are tough on fawns that's for sure-the worst part of haying up here is fawns hiding in the hay. One guy to the north of us has got 15 already this summer-still no shortage of deer though.

4995 self propelled JD. Just traded one in with 1100 hours for a new one today at Grossenburgs in Winner, SD. Very pleased with the outfit, but do the maintenance and don't be afraid to powerwash the head a couple times a day if needed. We use a sprayer with a Honda motor that sits in the back of a pickup.

well went and got the disc mower. :D got it for $3,400. needed a set of blades and a belt. does not look like it has even been through two easy seasons of hay cutting. i think i got a good deal on it. citting a 9'-10" swath will really make a showing in the hay field.

G3

agri supply in americus ga sells disc mowers i believe they are made in italy. we could asways get parts overnite and down here every field has big fireant mounds or salamanders, i think yall call them pocket gophers.anyhoo we had good luck with them.and the sand down here can be really rough.

katrina said:
Pain in the ass........ Wouldn't own one if they gave it to me........ Doesn't do well in sandy areas..........
But they'll chew up beer cans and old tires....you silly monkey. :wink:

you ll start throwing rocks at any sickle mowers. disc mowers are the way to go the only problem is you can mow more hay in a day then what you can bale in 3 days! also no more replacing sickle sections!

Latest posts