• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Eastern Oregon Arrowhead Balsamroot and Lineleaf Fleabane Comparison

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
You can see from the photos, while very similar and easily mistaken from a distance because both grow in the same habitat, there are differences. The Balsamroot has sharper and fewer pedals than the Fleabane with its slightly rounded and more pedals. The leaves are very different also. Easy to see why one is called arrowhead leaf and the other line leaf. Both photos from Eastern Oregon upper Malheur County.
Or Yellow WF.jpg

Last edited:
We have a similar flower called rough mule ear or common name Dock. Pretty yellow flower and a wide thick leaf. They turn into a bow hunters nightmare because when they dry they sound like you are walking through rice crispys.

We have a similar flower called rough mule ear or common name Dock. Pretty yellow flower and a wide thick leaf. They turn into a bow hunters nightmare because when they dry they sound like you are walking through rice crispys.
In Colorado, my dad, grandpa, etc., called them Mules Ears as you do. In Oregon, many call them Woolly Sunflowers. They are different than the Balsamroot but both are from the Aster family. How tall do they get in dry Utah? When I lived in the Oregon timbered mountains, I had them about 16" high on the dry slopes, but along the creek, they were about 3 feet high.

Latest posts