• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Favorite Horses

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
It fun to see all the pictures of different ranches, especially the horses. What really tickles me is how the favorite horse is used by everyone. Take for example Soapweed's Yellowstone. Whenever Soaps outfit is in a place where they need to get something done, you see a picture of Yellowstone. I KNOW they have other horses that are every bit as good as anything I ride, but Yellowstone always shows up.
Another one is Flyin S. He has horses that he never uses to do things with, that make me envious. His standby bunch are REALLY AMAZING!!
Me, I ship my old standby out to my Father-In0Law's. Sell anything that is really starting to get where I can do anything with, and buy another one that doesn't know anything. I have made good money doing it, and there is nothing wrong with either way.
Right now I have my little Oscar horse for sale. Someone is going to have to come up with my asking price, but he is for sale. I am putting lots of time and miles on Rosie, and am looking at another mare that just hasn't had any experience.

This is my favorite. She is getting old. I've done a lot of work with her. Double tough and always knows what I'm thinking.

Yellowstone is a good tough horse, and is my "distance horse." Many years ago I saw an ad in the Western Livestock Reporter which had horses for sale that were half Quarter Horse and half Tennessee Walking Horse. Back in the 1980's, I had a Sandhills-raised horse of this cross, and he was outstanding for covering long distances in speedy time. Seeing the ad, my interest was piqued, so we traveled to Red Lodge, Montana. The Tennessee Walking Horse sire won a 100-mile endurance ride in Washington state, three years in a row, with about 250 horses taking part. Not having a Polaris Ranger in those days, I wanted a horse like this that could cover a lot of country.

Over a two year period, I purchased four full brothers, who were each sired by the earlier mentioned TWH and out of a QH mare. Yellowstone was the youngest, and is the only one I still have left, even though he is now 18 years old. Yellowstone is even fairly "cowy" for his misbegotten genes.

When it comes to a "go to" horse to do more "intricate" jobs that need accomplished, I go to Goose. We purchased him when he was three, and he is now 17 years old. He is very cowy. Forrest Stewart put a lot of miles on him before we got the horse, and he was used some for cutting and lots as a turn-back horse. Goose is also fairly tough for long distances, but not as tough as Yellowstone. Conversely, Yellowstone is not nearly as cowy as Goose.

We really appreciate the talents of these two exceptional horses, and wish only that we could turn their odometers back so they were young again.

I also like the looks of Yellowstone, and think that if there were more of that type of horse around there might be less people riding quads. I know we have a mare that is an awesome cowhorse but if I had to ride her over a half mile a truck and trailer would cross my mind. Alot of times there different horses for different jobs around here. There aren't many that are great everywhere!

Almost everything we have is fairly decent do to the fact that we are mounting our kids. Our 7 yr old daughter will ride anything I will allow her. We don't own a horse that doesn't have the ability to do everything, some are better suited for certain jobs than others. We honestly have sold much better horses than we ride, at the time it was a business and I could always make another one. Now I don't enjoy riding so many young horses nor do I ride as much. What we have didn't become what they are by accident or luck. The one thing every horse we ride has in common is reliability and trust.

Latest posts