• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feeding hay in Alabama

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ground is a very high priced input here. I just bought the waste ground from the farm south of me (40 acres) as I needed to put in an access road for the gravel pit and I had to pay $3,000 per acre for it.

Tillable acreage around here is bringing as much as $5,000 per acre - - - more if in small tracts.

I raise around 1,500 acres of row crops each year ( corn and soybeans) and feel the cattle I have are a good market for some of the grain. When we had a good market for fat hogs I was feeding out about 2,000 per year and enjoyed it!

I have never fattened over 500 head of cattle per year - - - I have never bought grain for the operations but used the feeding as a vertical intergration for the row crops. With packers getting fewer and farther away most farmers have taken out the fences and work at something else.

I still enjoy the livestock and feel I might put up quite a bit of silage next year and feed calves ( more than just the ones from my herd).

How would a young man get started today? I really don't know. My son is trying but with out my help I don't think he would stand a chance.

30 - 40 acres per cow here. We use what little irrigated ground we have to put up hay. Haven't had to buy hay for the last several years. Cows with steer calves graze the greenup (if there is any,wasn't any this year) after we preconditon until we ship them.

Latest posts