• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fences

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I am running 2 wire electric fence on all my interior fences . Bought a load of posts a grain farmer pulled out 10 years ago for next 2 nothing, with no pressure on the fence , cows reaching through I think I will get another 20 years out of them. I can put up a mile of fence in a afternoon and they never cross it. Make sure I have a good slant brace at each end and some places I get up to 100 feet spacing on posts

Use the one my Daddy taught me.

Cross wire and hold with pliers, twist west bound wire around east wire and vice versa. You need two to make a repair unless the wire is really loose.

You need at least four tight wraps per side, six is better.

gcreekrch said:

Cross wire and hold with pliers, twist west bound wire around east wire and vice versa. You need two to make a repair unless the wire is really loose.

Hahaha. For barb wire that works fine and is how I splice. For High tensile it comes apart. For high tensile and high tensile barb wire I tie a square knot then wrap about 6 times but you need to tie 2 knots and wire that has been up a while is harder to work with in the high tensile. I probably pull my high tensile wire to tight according to the experts but found it worked better for me. If I have to splice theres not enough to tie a knot.

GM888 said:
gcreekrch said:

Hahaha. For barb wire that works fine and is how I splice. For High tensile it comes apart. For high tensile and high tensile barb wire I tie a square knot then wrap about 6 times but you need to tie 2 knots and wire that has been up a while is harder to work with in the high tensile. I probably pull my high tensile wire to tight according to the experts but found it worked better for me. If I have to splice theres not enough to tie a knot.

Those crimper thingys work good for that. I've used 2 loops for HT also and a lot of those splices have been there for many years.

On smooth HT if I have enough slack I use a figure 8 knot , I like ferrule on barb and will use on HT too. The gripples work well and are simple and quick but expensive IMO for old fence

I had several pieces of barbed wire fence down because of the storm. I'm still trying to repair them. I have several 100 feet of HT using the poly "wire" and one piece of it was down. Took about ten minutes to fix the HT. I use poly HT line because the slick wire is heavy and requires pretty strong pull posts and line post much closer together than for the poly just to hold it up. No problem with the strength of the poly. Cattle learn very quickly about the HT and will not challenge it after the first time to stick their nose to it.

I have a lot less fence crawlers on my HT smoothwire fences than on my barbed.. my cows don't care at all about the barbs, extra scratching power is good apparently. The HT on the other hand is so darned tight it just feel solid, they don't put their heads through, and all the staples stay in. I am not going to make any more fences within the farm from barbed anymore... It just tends to hurt me more than anyone else since we have irrigation lines near it and without fail the barbs will catch you as you open and close the hydrants... every.. darn.. time.

Latest posts