• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fencing??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

farmboy

Reaction score
Just purchased three quarters that have been in my family since back when my great grand father homesteaded. I am wanting to redo all the fence just wondering if any of you have a good place to buy wire posts etc. I am wanting to buy used steel posts if possible but will consider new if I can find a good price. I have about half the wood line posts I need but will need more. Any suggestion or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I know about most of th commercial places that sell fencing materials just wondering if anyone maybe knew of somebody that fences and has old used posts or a commercial fencer that tears it out that resells it.

Check craigslist. Problem is used posts are only a $1 less than new and you have to drive all over creation to pick them up 50 here 50 there. Mills Fleet Farm had 6' USA made post on sale a couple weeks ago for $3.63 I thought that was fair.

Expensive as fencing materials are, it probably seems a good idea to find used materials. However, the time and effort to do a good job of fencing makes it imperative that it last a long time and stand up well to the critters it is supposed to contain. Our ranch is over 120 years old and the fences were built with hand cut cedar or ash posts and barbed wire, some still standing. I often hear it said to our sons and grandsons: "we have to do a good job of building or repairing fence because it might be another hundred years before we have time to do it again"!

Cammacks is a good, interesting salvage and new materials source.

Ernies Building Center at Midland is great, too, generally having a good sale in Oct. for their customer appreciation day and dinner, They have customers from quite a distance and are 15 miles north of Exit 170 on I-90. There are young owners doing a great job with it.

mrj

mrj

We were just talking this morning about how poo wire is now to compare with
turn of century wire we have some under water last few years drying up now posts are there wire has just about gone were old wire some still good having been in water how many times in the last 120 years.

Latest posts