• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fertilizer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Got all of you beat, feedlot(sludge) injected with 3 inches of water all for the big price of $0.00 a ton

Well, here is an interesting twist. I had a buddie spred urea for me today on a seed field. I fall fertilized it with 9-23-30 so all I needed this spring was nitrogen. I wanted to try fertilizing more than usual and put on a growth inhibitor. I told him to get 9500lbs (all the place had till next week) and put out 330 lbs of urea which is about 150 units of N. He had bought a new truck with a wider belt and forgot to adjust his gate setting . He ended up putting out 475 pounds (220 N ) and didn't get the field finished. It's a small field that is unhandy to graze so I usually cut seed on it and hay it. It's the field I posted a picture of in the fall that was lush. I grazed my remaining stocker steers in it and it is perfect for seed. I have never put out 220 units of N on grass and have no idea what to expect. If we get rain it will be a jungle. I guess if we don't it might be a brown waste land. You Canadians put that kind of fertilize on grass seed I have heard. Anyone know results? With that much N will a growth inhibitor keep it from lodging ? Would it be better to hay it and if so what about nitrate poisoning?

I put 250 units of nitrogen on some ryegrass once. It grew like gangbusters.

I got rain though, hope you do.

I ve put that much N on grass land but we got ran and I had a darn hard time cutting it. The grass was so high and it lodged pretty darn good. You better hope you get some rain on that N or else it could really burn that grass off.

Grass will take up Nitrogen very well. Read an article once, forgot particulars, but a lot of people getting rid of waste product prefer grass as it takes up Nitrogen better than most crops.

That being said, anyone ever do a soil test? Reason I say is that in the columbia basin, there's potato farmers that have been putting on Fertilizer for a long time without doing this. There's wells that have suffered as a result. I heard a story of one guys irrigation water containing enough Nitrogen that it was adequate for his crop.

Our area has a lot of waste spread on crops. It is required that tests be done so excess N doesn't result. Not onl good for the environment, but keeps you from tossing your money away,

PPRM

Chicken litter her goes for $35 / ton :???: . I've been thinking about spreading some since urea is $350 / ton. First I have to spread some lime. Was suppose to get that last week.

efb said:
Chicken litter her goes for $35 / ton :???: . I've been thinking about spreading some since urea is $350 / ton. First I have to spread some lime. Was suppose to get that last week.

Find some "Layer House" litter. It contains lot of calcium.

Latest posts