• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Forage wheat a cowboy can love-Willow Creek Winter Wheat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
http://beefmagazine.com/nutrition/feed-composition-tables/0101-producers-new-forage-option

This is more info on Willow Creek Forage Winter Wheat that littlejoe brought up in another thread. I copied and pasted part of the article here:

While barley is a tried-and-true forage crop, it has some limitations, principally that it's planted in the spring. So, about 10 years ago, Cash and his research associates began looking at the possibility of a fall-planted cereal grain for forage production. The result is a variety of winter wheat they named Willow Creek.

That's not to say winter wheat isn't grown in Montana. It is. But the winter wheat varieties planted for grain production are all semi-dwarf and bearded, which doesn't make them suitable for forage. Willow Creek is awnless, Cash says, and grows about a foot taller than the semi-dwarf grain varieties.

"It heads out about 10 days later and matures about three weeks later. Turns out, these are all great characteristics for forage because it stays green longer," he says.

Focused research

The wheat varieties developed for grazing and forage on the Southern Plains can't take the Montana winters, Cash says, so they had to find a homegrown variety suited to the climate. Using some grant money provided by USDA's Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) program, Cash and others began looking at the forage potential of the varieties being tested in MSU's winter wheat breeding program. After several years of testing and breeding, they felt they had Willow Creek to a point where they could conduct some field testing with cooperating producers.

"We got a lot of mileage out of that because most of the people we gave the seed to were already using barley as a hay crop, so we got a good head-to-head comparison of Willow Creek against those varieties," Cash says. "And it pretty well kicked the pants off anything else."

Being a fall-planted crop, it fits a cattleman's seasonal work schedule better. Plus, it can take advantage of spring moisture, Cash says, "because it's in the ground and 6 in. tall, growing 1 in./day, when it's muddy in the spring and you ought to be doing your farming."

That growth advantage allows it to out-yield barley on a tonnage basis. "It probably doesn't have quite the animal performance as barley," Cash says, "but for most of these guys, they're not going for gain."

Willow Creek is primarily a forage wheat; its grazing potential is limited, Cash says, particularly for fall and winter grazing. "When we plant winter wheat up here, it needs to be in the ground by Oct. 15. So typically it isn't going to have but one or two leaves in the fall; there isn't enough to graze."

What's more, their precipitation pattern in July and August is generally dry. Cash says some producers looked at planting the end of July for some fall grazing. "But typically on dryland, we don't have reliable moisture. So if we graze it, it will be more of a spring-summer deal."

That's a viable option. Their research looked at early spring grazing and found livestock could graze it in the early vegetative stage without any impact on subsequent hay yield.

Because they chose to make Willow Creek a public variety, Cash has no definitive handle on how much is being grown. "But there were probably 20,000 acres of it cut for hay this past summer," he estimates. "And it probably will increase again this year."

FH, If your crested wheat and Alfalfa fields are green with regroth after haying I would bet you could spray it with Round up and kill off the Crested Wheat and use a air seeder to knife in Winter wheat and after harvesting it for hay next year your would have a crop of alfalfa coming right back. You could always broadcast some alfalfa seed on after freeze up if you don't think what is there is thick enough.

What do you guys think?

Big Muddy rancher said:
FH, If your crested wheat and Alfalfa fields are green with regroth after haying I would bet you could spray it with Round up and kill off the Crested Wheat and use a air seeder to knife in Winter wheat and after harvesting it for hay next year your would have a crop of alfalfa coming right back. You could always broadcast some alfalfa seed on after freeze up if you don't think what is there is thick enough.

What do you guys think?

Air Seeder??? One of those cost more than all our machinery put together.
However, our neighbor has one. :p
Where we would seed is a field that was worked up in 2012. Mr. FH even rolled it. But we all know what happened in 2012. The hay barley came up to about 6-8" and that was it. So this spring, he worked that field again.
It had a lot of 'stuff' growing on it. Alfalfa, weeds, etc. In a bad year we could have hayed it. Anyway, he disced it back into the soil. And he plans to do that one more time as the alfalfa is coming back. This field was originally planted around 1988, and we hadn't done much with it, except cut what hay grew on it. (Once again, we aren't farmers :? ). So we wanted to get it back to producing some alfalfa. We didn't plant it this spring (big mistake there :p ) so that's why the 'litter' was worked back into the soil. Now this fall after discing it down again, he would plant the winter wheat.

How does that sound???

I will tell him what you posted, BMR. He's real open to suggestions. He says you could line up 10 farmers and ask them all the same question and get 10 different answers. :p Like others mention on here, it's easy to be a success farming, when it rains. Except we didn't plant anything. :D So I think we have an 'F' so far on that field. :D

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

What do you guys think?

Where we would seed is a field that was worked up in 2012. Mr. FH even rolled it. But we all know what happened in 2012. The hay barley came up to about 6-8" and that was it. So this spring, he worked that field again.
It had a lot of 'stuff' growing on it. Alfalfa, weeds, etc. In a bad year we could have hayed it. Anyway, he disced it back into the soil. And he plans to do that one more time as the alfalfa is coming back. This field was originally planted around 1988, and we hadn't done much with it, except cut what hay grew on it. (Once again, we aren't farmers :? ). So we wanted to get it back to producing some alfalfa. We didn't plant it this spring (big mistake there :p ) so that's why the 'litter' was worked back into the soil. Now this fall after discing it down again, he would plant the winter wheat.

How does that sound???

I will tell him what you posted, BMR. He's real open to suggestions. He says you could line up 10 farmers and ask them all the same question and get 10 different answers. :p Like others mention on here, it's easy to be a success farming, when it rains. Except we didn't plant anything. :D So I think we have an 'F' so far on that field. :D

seed your winter wheat and after freeze up broadcast the alfalfa seed and next spring when you get another 18 inches of rain you can cut the wheat and alfalfa. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

What do you guys think?

How does that sound???

seed your winter wheat and after freeze up broadcast the alfalfa seed and next spring when you get another 18 inches of rain you can cut the wheat and alfalfa. :D

I ran your suggestion by him and he liked that idea. Except the 18" of rain is very questionable :? . Especially since next year is an 'even' year and we never get as much moisture in those years. 2010 was the exception in the 20 years we have been here.

I'd get the wheat seed,fertilizer,pell lime and alfalfa seed all mixed together put in a fertilizer spreader. Say you want 250#s of total mix per acre spread it at 125#s and go over the field twice then just roll it in that's how I seed down fields and it works great. Our local elevator mixes it all and I spread it.The pell lime helps carry the grass seeds is what I'm told.

I'd seed it this fall but don't over plant the wheat.

Denny said:
I'd get the wheat seed,fertilizer,pell lime and alfalfa seed all mixed together put in a fertilizer spreader. Say you want 250#s of total mix per acre spread it at 125#s and go over the field twice then just roll it in that's how I seed down fields and it works great. Our local elevator mixes it all and I spread it.The pell lime helps carry the grass seeds is what I'm told.

Thanks, Denny. We are in a very arid country (most years) and we don't use fertilizer here. I will pass this along, tho. Sounds like that would work well, if enough moisture was available. Moisture is our limiting factor here.
Now this year, doing what you suggested would have worked fine. We never get a second cutting, this year we have. :shock: And the field where we cut the 2nd cutting, looks like it was irrigated! Gonna be hard to go back to 'normal' after this year. Corn has been planted around us and on the way to town and south of town....it looks like Iowa.......it's too wet for the peas, so far. I just heard someone say they won't dry. Then someone else said to spray them with ???? (would it be roundup) and that would cause them to dry out. If that doesn't make sense, it's cuz I have a hearing problem. :lol: :lol: :lol: :p I'm not dumb, I just can't hear. :p :D

Denny said:

Don't know about FH----but our soils are limestone based---last thing we need to do is apply lime==

FH, they might have suggested Paraquat, it was used to defoiliate dry beans. I would think Roundup or any other glyphosate would probably dry down field peas. More in style, and probably cheaper.
That's life in the banana belt...

littlejoe said:
Denny said:

Don't know about FH----but our soils are limestone based---last thing we need to do is apply lime==

I said we weren't farmers......but come to think of it, I have never heard of anyone applying lime here. I think they do in Missouri (that's where my family was from) in order to neutralize the soil, right?

Latest posts