• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

grass ID

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
seed head was cone shaped, was at the edge of a flower, rhubarb garden .
DSCN2969.JPG
DSCN2970.JPG
DSCN2971.JPG
Seed head is coned shaped, it was at the edge of a flower garden Sue mulch heavy with compressed straw bales
DSCN2972.JPG

It does look like the Timothy grass in Colorado where I grew up. That was at 8,000 feet so probably the Alpine variety. Do you also have Bison grass in your area?

Interesting! I haven't heard of Canary grass.
we had Reed Canary grass in our irrigated meadows back in Star Valley it could grow over 7 feet high, it was stalky but on the snow the cows cleaned it up. think there was lot of sugar in the stalk. Loved really wet feet. But creeping Garrison foxtail could choke it out.

we had Reed Canary grass in our irrigated meadows back in Star Valley it could grow over 7 feet high, it was stalky but on the snow the cows cleaned it up. think there was lot of sugar in the stalk. Loved really wet feet. But creeping Garrison foxtail could choke it out.
I just looked at local my grasses guide and I guess along the ditches and river banks, we have what I call reed grass and it is 6 foot tall. It is correctly called Reed Canary grass. The seed head differs from the one you showed. I guess I should learn the correct common English names, but what I won't learn is the Latin and Greek nomenclature names. :LOL:

Could be. I always get the names wrong. What I called Quackgrass, most call Crabgrass. We have both, but when I can see 3 foot runners, it is going down as Quackgrass. Then there is Cheatgrass that I get right. In the photos, there is cheat, quack, sedge, foxtail, cattail, and some Timothy. Not sure about the short one with fuzzy white heads and too lazy to look it up. The tall one with reeds, I have no idea. I was going to check it closer, but I would have to wade through goat heads and I have become an old sissy about such activity.

Latest posts