• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay Consumption Analysis

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I guess I'm lucky. Never having to buy feed, the only rations I ever have to figure out is bales divided by feeding days. We take hay and greenfeed (oats) off about 1000 acres, and that's what the cattle get. Hay is alfalfa brome timothy cross, but mostly alfalfa. I haven't had hay tested in years because regardless of what it tests, that's what they get. Of course, a guy naturally trys to mix the poorer hay with the better. And it has allways amazed me that I can figure on 5 bales (3 1/2 ton) per winter per cow no matter the size of cow. If I have at least that much in the hay yard, the cows winter fine. Not very scientific, but it works in my application.

Silver- I use about the same "scientific" method you do...What I got - is what they are going to get.......

This year with a fairly warm winter and stacks of extra hay that can't even sell for $35 Ton the cows around here look great...My old girls have never had it so good....Tubs of mineral sitting around- little grass left still to graze when the ice isn't bad- and all the hay they can eat....I'd give PETA fits this year.....

Latest posts