• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay Contract rate

Help Support Ranchers.net:

how much you willing to pay??? sitting on a lot of tons of cow hay right now

My brother sold some early this fall for 140 a ton, his last 3 loads were sold for 120 a week ago.

He's east of you in Holt co.

Right now you around here you can pick up all the grass/alfalfa cow hay you need for $75- $100 a Ton.. And everyone has hay for sale... Lots of fall grass so if the winter stays open the price will continue to drop... Still some straw bales sitting in the fields..

I talked to a friend from just north of the Border-- and he says they have hardly sold any up there....

It's hard to come up with a standard price figure. Every area and every operation is different. You have a computer, maybe you can put together what would be a fair price for your operation. When I was in business I tried to make a price figure on the cost of the hay I produced. Figure operating cost, repair cost, and depreciation on your equipment. Then the fuel cost and labor. Once you get a figure on these you can decide if it would be better to own your own equipment or hire. A hay contractor needs to make a profit in order to stay in business too.

Clarencen said:
It's hard to come up with a standard price figure. Every area and every operation is different. You have a computer, maybe you can put together what would be a fair price for your operation. When I was in business I tried to make a price figure on the cost of the hay I produced. Figure operating cost, repair cost, and depreciation on your equipment. Then the fuel cost and labor. Once you get a figure on these you can decide if it would be better to own your own equipment or hire. A hay contractor needs to make a profit in order to stay in business too.

:nod:

flyingS said:
When I said hay contract, I was wanting someone to mow, bale and rake the hay. Not forward contract hay that was already put up.
70% 30% split if owner irrigates and it a great crop 60-40
told one guy 70-30 he said 50-50 , I said you buy the twine and fuel and then that be ok, he said 70-30 would be great :D

Latest posts