• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay shares?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

pups and bucks

Reaction score
My neighbor wants me to put up some hay on shares.........I will do the cutting,raking ,and baling.......what would be a fair share be.
thanks for any input.......

We used to do it for 2/3, but expenses are rising faster than the worth of the hay so now it's 7/10. Basically I guess what ever you feel comfortable with and how it pencils out for you.

pups and bucks said:
My neighbor wants me to put up some hay on shares.........I will do the cutting,raking ,and baling.......what would be a fair share be.
thanks for any input.......

lot's of ?, what happens to his share,do you have to buy it , who hauls it off the field? if he sell's his share who hauls?. if you get hit with bad weather part way through do you have a like quality clause? I presume it's a good crop,if not, some minimium quantities should be discussed beforehand. How rough is it? 7/10 if round baling and it's a good smooth,rock free field.

We only do custom work for the landlords where we rent the crop ground - - - we do it 50 / 50 but the landlord is responsible for moving his half.

I would think it would depend on what he has invested in the crop also. If he fertilized it sprayed for weeds watered or what. I would just figure it the same as crop ground in the area. If he puts no expense into it and you have all the equipment and do the work it would be 2/3 for you around here.

2/3 is pretty normal unless it is a landlord, then you do what ever he asks to keep the ground...

I put up some on irrigated ground on shares and I take 40% but I don't pay any fertilizer or electric for pivot. On dryland any where from 60 to 70% depending on conditions. Just firgure what its costs to put the hay up on a custom basis against the cost of hay.

Long ago I Used to take on my neighbors places on 50/50 basis.... I provided equip and labor, took my share and left theirs lay.

Learned a lot as I went along..for example: the customer is not equipped or able to move their own hay. Now the same places are 75/25, I take mine and stack theirs. Usually, I end up selling the customers hay (or buying it for resale) for them and collect a fee for that too.

Consider your investment in machines, your maintenance and depreciation, your fuel, labor, and missed family time. You're better off leaving your equipment parked and making your payments than wearing stuff out on somebody elses place just to have some guy fun.

One rule: if it wasn't harvested last season by somebody then I usually won't even look at the job. If I think it might be attractive and convenient location I don't take the job without a thorough walk thru to identify hazards: wire, car parts, re-bar, t-posts, tires, bathtubs and sinks, holes, rocks, ...

Nobody around here irrigates or fertilizes except me on my place. So any custom work results in an inferior product. Generally I don't even want a share anymore. Minimum fee set at $1500 and up from there...weeds out most of the small acre folks.

1/3rd shares are normal had one that was 1/4 share but they wanted someone with 4x5 net wrap bales so I was opted out that's fine was a p.i.t.a. anyhow. I have none that are on shares now I either own the land or cash rent the place.

He offered me 75/25 and I took it even though I didn't really need the hay.......there might be a year when I do need it.
It's a small acerage deal.....which works for me...

Latest posts