• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hello from Mid-TN

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HobbyFarmer985

Reaction score
Good Morning Folks! I've been a frequent reader of this site for a couple of years, but thought I'd join the group officially. I grew up farming, and working with a neighbor, raising tobacco, corn, soybeans, hogs, etc. In my last few years working with him (college years) we ran a dairy with ~85 Holsteins. Which I attribute to keeping me grounded and finishing my degree. We had river bottoms with corn for silage, and several acres of green chop as well. Some of the best years ever, hard work, and learning to get things done the right way.

Fast forward 30 years, and I'm easing back into some of this farm stuff again. Bought a few heifers, (1 with calf now) fenced in some acreage, and this fall I planted/sowed most all of our open land (~70 acres) with a productive (hopefully) grass seed mix. This land was converted from no-till soybeans to hay/pasture. (The NRCS and Soil Conservation District reimbursed our expenses!) This farm (wife's family) was a hay operation in the latter years before no-till came in. The in-laws pretty much sold all the equipment and the big tractor, so I've started gathering hay equipment, and a couple of tractors. I'm doing all this to have something to keep me busy after retirement from my paying job. Which hopefully will be in the next year or so!

Enough about me, got to get ready for this bitter cold weather headed our way. Y'all be safe, and warm!

Appreciate the warm welcomes! I'll get some pics of our neck of the woods loaded up soon. Great place to live and raise a family! We've been on wife's family farm for 32 years. I grew up about a mile away. (And yes, we went through elementary, jr. high, high and college together).

We have 2 wonderful kiddos, both live within a five mile radius. Our daughter and her hubby have 90+ acres and run about 45 head of Angus. Last fall our Son bought a 10 acre plot. No cattle, but plenty of deer and Turkey.

Hope everyone made it through this cold snap intact! We've had some issues here at the house, but we'll get things back in order soon!

Good Morning Folks! I've been a frequent reader of this site for a couple of years, but thought I'd join the group officially. I grew up farming, and working with a neighbor, raising tobacco, corn, soybeans, hogs, etc. In my last few years working with him (college years) we ran a dairy with ~85 Holsteins. Which I attribute to keeping me grounded and finishing my degree. We had river bottoms with corn for silage, and several acres of green chop as well. Some of the best years ever, hard work, and learning to get things done the right way.

Fast forward 30 years, and I'm easing back into some of this farm stuff again. Bought a few heifers, (1 with calf now) fenced in some acreage, and this fall I planted/sowed most all of our open land (~70 acres) with a productive (hopefully) grass seed mix. This land was converted from no-till soybeans to hay/pasture. (The NRCS and Soil Conservation District reimbursed our expenses!) This farm (wife's family) was a hay operation in the latter years before no-till came in. The in-laws pretty much sold all the equipment and the big tractor, so I've started gathering hay equipment, and a couple of tractors. I'm doing all this to have something to keep me busy after retirement from my paying job. Which hopefully will be in the next year or so!

Enough about me, got to get ready for this bitter cold weather headed our way. Y'all be safe, and warm!
Does your daughter's 1 cow to 2 acres ratio include growing their own hay? I know back in the day my East Texas relatives could run that same ratio and also had one pasture for one cutting of hay which was enough to winter the cattle since they let it grow for fall feed after the one cutting.

Latest posts