• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hello From Northern Colorado

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cody-n-Nancy

Reaction score
Early "Baby Boomers" at 72/73 years old. Been married to my beautiful wife for 20 years now.

Not ranchers, but have a big interest in it. I was raised in northeastern Indiana on a small hog farm and joined the U.S. Navy right before high school graduation. The Draft was very close to getting me! Previous AQHA member and horse owner. Spent a number of years in pro-rodeo as a team roper ("header"). Even though we have never owned/run a ranch, we both know a lot about ranching...........from real documentaries and going to a ranch rodeo.

Our interests include: ranch life, attending rodeos, photography of mountain wildlife and ranch/farm life, old western tv shows, The Old West, powerboating/trout fishing and going to local livestock auction to observe sales. Have met numerous PRCA World Champions. I still have two Classic "heading" ropes from my old days of competing in the arena. When not competing, I was helping PRCA Stock Contractors in the arena.

Love wearing our Wrangler jeans, Ariat Lace-Up Roper Boots and felt or straw cowboy hats. People never think we are the age we are! LOL

Welcome to Ranchers, This place is a mere shadow of what it used to be back before Facebook.
Still a few of us still check in but it's not the hopping place it was.

Well, wife and I just wanted a forum where ranching, horses and other livestock were talked about. It's very hard to find a forum like that online. I know, I've tried. I was a part of two Senior forums, but nobody cared to discuss anything that was ranch and/or farm related. Some told me "we live in the country", but a person can live in the country and have nothing at all to do with livestock or a western lifestyle. People "balked" when I would mention rodeo.

We have no kids or grandkids, but do have a "kid" thing..........it's a toy miniature display of farm and ranch on a counter between our kitchen and dining room. Three corrals. One of different Bulls (1-Red and 1-Black Angus, a White-Faced Hereford and a Texas Longhorn). One of cows/calves (Holstein, Angus and Hereford). One of horses (Quarter) and one of hogs. The display also has miniature farm equipment, miniature bales of hay, a barn and three cowboys. Two cowboys on horseback swinging ropes and one standing with one. The barn was part of a Christmas Village display and the rest bought online and at a Farm/Ranch Supply Store near us.

People in the Senior Forum told me "why don't you two grow up. That stuff is for little kids". Well, I knew what I wanted to say back to them, but was able to resist. LOL

Hey, we get it! We have a whole set of minature corrals, livestock, equipment, etc that was given to us. It is homemade, lots of wood and has seen some better days, but Mr. FH is going to fix it up and put it somewhere....not sure where...More has been added to it from farm and ranch stores. It was a treasure at one time and the friend who gave it to us is a treasure as well, so it's not going anywhere. You will have to post a picture of yours, but don't expect a picture from me anytime soon. 😊

Our ranch/farm display is solid plastic and, to make the livestock look even better, I sprayed all of them with clear lacquer spray. They all look like they've got ShowSheen on them, ready for showing.
The small bales of hay, look very real, with two pieces of wire holding each bale together.
In each corral, we also have a round feeder (with hay in each) and small plastic container of water (real water). Pretty doggone real looking!

So, how do you folks feel about having a non-rancher in your forum? I mean, we have a big interest in ranching, as well as farming. Watch documentaries on both and, when we can, even go to the livestock auction close to us. Don't sell or buy, but really like watching the livestock being sold.

The hog farm I was raised on, during my high school years, appears to be somewhat different than the hog farms of today. But, then again, my high school years were from 1965 thru 1968. One thing for sure, doing crops today is much, much different than back then! LOL

Welcome. We aren't a clicky bunch on here and we are glad to have you. This place is a far cry from what it once was. Facebook took many of our members. It was a hopping place once. Thanks for being here, hopefully as Facebook insults more and more, they will come back.

Welcome. We aren't a clicky bunch on here and we are glad to have you. This place is a far cry from what it once was. Facebook took many of our members. It was a hopping place once. Thanks for being here, hopefully as Facebook insults more and more, they will come back.

That is great to hear! For us, we are on Facebook, but didn't know Facebook had much for ranching. Of course we are in a group for Team Roping and a couple of other groups involved in PRCA rodeo.

Actually, I don't know how many people, of my, or my wife's age (72/73) , are still physically ranching, or if they pretty much ride along and/or just watch as family do it.

Soon I will take some photos of our ranch/farm display and put them on here. Since the display is a little over 5 feet long, I can't get the entire thing in one photo, so will have to do a couple of photos. It's very interesting and cool how we have it all set up.

Latest posts