• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How fresh is this!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I like others have had to eat that stuff as a young one, all we had, now that I run the outfit, we eat beef. Of all the wild game I tasted moutain sheep were the best, the worst was a antelope. If its run for any time, before being shot, in season its terrible, now eating it in June is another matter. :wink:

PureCountry said:
I love tenderloin. Deer, elk or moose is fabulous when it's done right. Something that surprised the Hell outta me, was at a friends place earlier this fall. They had a bunch of folks together for their annual Cock 'n Knob, and one of the many things on the spit was a haunch of pronghorn they'd shot just a couple days before. Damn was that good! :shock: Never had it, can't wait to have it again. Thought it'd be tough meat b/c they're such a tough, wiry little critter, but it's just the opposite - tender, juicy and delicious.

Antelope is excellent, I love the hamburgers, as long as the antelope haven't been running before being shot. (eewwwwww!! very gamey if they've been running) :)

Nicky said:
Sorry girls, I gotta join the guys this time :p I like deer, especially tenderloin and backstrap! Elk is even better. Of course nothing beats beef :) :!:

Amen, Nicky!!! But, growing up dirt poor like i did, you will eat whatever is put in front of you....or STARVE!!! Took me a long time, but i grew accustomed to the taste of deer and elk!! Beef was a rare treat in our household in the 70's and 80's!!!

growin up we always ate beef. I didnt taste deer until after gettin married. Then they brought me to east texas, (from west texas) and wanted me to eat squirrel and deer. I'm not that big on squirrel, but like the deer meat, prefer wild hog to deer tho. I'm just thankful his family dont eat, coons and possum....uhggggg :gag:

When I was young and first married, my husband and a couple of his bachelor buddies went bird hunting. They brought in a bird all dressed for me to cook. I should have known something was up when they wouldn't stay and eat. They were ALWAYS ready for a home-cooked meal.

Sure enough. I'd been duped good. It was mud hen. YUCK! :p

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
growin up we always ate beef. I didnt taste deer until after gettin married. Then they brought me to east texas, (from west texas) and wanted me to eat squirrel and deer. I'm not that big on squirrel, but like the deer meat, prefer wild hog to deer tho. I'm just thankful his family dont eat, coons and possum....uhggggg :gag:
Lilly - If you are from West Texas you must have eaten Rattlesnake and Armadillo! Rattlesnake tastes like Chicken and Armadillo tastes like. . . . .tastes like . . .uh - - -tastes . . a. . h-m-m-m-mmm- -have you ever really looked at the word 'tastes'? Say 'tastes' several times in succession and it doesn't even seem to sound like a real word! Neither does "Armidillo", especially when they are FLAT in the middle of the highway. I call them "Flat-dillo's"! NOT too appetizing! Don't Mess With Texas!

DOC HARRIS

Doc,
I have ate rattlesnake, ONCE, and don't ever plan on it again. It DID NOT taste like chicken!!! Uhggggg greasy nasty mess of crunchy, :gag: and that was at the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup where they should KNOW how to cook it.
As for Armadillo? I've never ate one of them, and once again I don't plan to. Ewwwww
I will say however that baby armadillos are just the cutest critters, went walkin out behind the house here and walked up on three of em. I stepped on two of em's tails...really wanted to catch em....but I wasn't about to reach down and pick em up. They were only about 4 inches long. I stood there with two lil armadillos, one floppin at the toe of each boot....hollerin for Mr. Lilly to come help me. But he was in the house and didnt hear me. So I let em go. I'd never seen an armadillo till movin to East Texas.

Well, I've always heard there are 11 banded and 9 banded armadillos, and have been told that one of them carries Leprosy(sp) I didnt know which one it was. come to find out ours are nine banded and don't carry it.

And who knows if they bite??? hehe

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Well, I've always heard there are 11 banded and 9 banded armadillos, and have been told that one of them carries Leprosy(sp) I didnt know which one it was. come to find out ours are nine banded and don't carry it.

And who knows if they bite??? hehe
Llilly - THEY BITE! If somebody stepped on your tail - YOU'D BITE! Of course, if somebody stepped on MY tail - - -well, uh - a - it would depend on who did the steppin'!

DOC HARRIS

While playing tourist in Alaska back in August, our fishing guide provided us with jerky made from roadkill Moose. He lives in a cabin along the highway south of Talkeetna, so the roadkill was fresh when he happened upon it. Maybe the impact of vehicle against meat acted as a tenderizing agent, but whatever the case, the jerky tasted very good.

Soapweed said:
While playing tourist in Alaska back in August, our fishing guide provided us with jerky made from roadkill Moose. He lives in a cabin along the highway south of Talkeetna, so the roadkill was fresh when he happened upon it. Maybe the impact of vehicle against meat acted as a tenderizing agent, but whatever the case, the jerky tasted very good.

Soap was that Jerky some that Peterbuilt. :wink: :cowboy:

Latest posts