• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hunting on your land?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Do you let hunters on your land

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:
We have always allowed hunting- but always by permission only...About 5 years ago I signed onto the Montana Block Management Program- still have control over who hunts and all rules - the state pays you a yearly fee derived upon by the animal types available and the number of hunters utilizing the area- while exempting you from the liability associated with fee hunting.....Pays about 1/3 of the taxes on the place...But is about 1/2 the amount that the Outfitters are paying to lease hunting rights.....Everything around us has been leased out to outfitters...I like the Block management because it gives the local community hunters a place to hunt- most of who couldn't afford what the outfitters charge....

nuther subsidy there Oldtimer? :wink: :D

Like your $2.50 AUM average Crown grazing leases that you get all the oil and timber royalties off too? :wink:
I own this property....

You better check your facts and figure there Oldtimer. OH I forgot R-CALFer the truth doesn't matter.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:

Like your $2.50 AUM average Crown grazing leases that you get all the oil and timber royalties off too? :wink:
I own this property....

You better check your facts and figure there Oldtimer. OH I forgot R-CALFer the truth doesn't matter.

Thats what the Canadians posted on Agriville this week as being the average lease- and that you get paid royalties for timber, oil, and minerals found on it- and that you can then later sell the lease when you retire- Pretty good little retirement fund...

Now that sounds like a good subsidy..... No wonder many Canadians don't care if the Packers shaft them...

Or are you saying all those good Canadians on there are lying? You better check things out there......You might be missing out again :wink:

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
I own this property....

Thats what the Canadians posted on Agriville this week as being the average lease- and that you get paid royalties for timber, oil, and minerals found on it- and that you can then later sell the lease when you retire- Pretty good little retirement fund...

Now that sounds like a good subsidy..... No wonder many Canadians don't care if the Packers shaft them...

Or are you saying all those good Canadians on there are lying? You better check things out there......You might be missing out again :wink:

Are you talking Canadians or Albertans. Here in Sask. we get $200 off our lease if a well is dug. That is the first year year and $100 after that despite all the traffica and such. Our leases are tied to the weighted averge cattle price From a high of $6.28 in 2001 to $3.81 in 2005. On top of that add municipal taxes and School taxes that pretty much if not more then double the lease cost. leasees develop the water and put on all their own fenceing. A lease holder sells there improvements whe they sell the ranch. After this fall leases will be going back up as it is a combination of steers ,heifers and culls in the weghted average price. In 2001 the cattle price was figures at $133.80 in 2005 the price was $81.22

Oh yea not much timber sold in southern Sask.

greg said:
Not ALL Canadians have leases, I own my land.And we DO NOT get paid to let hunters on our land.

Greg I do too...And to me that is a crock that you can't do what you want to with your land-- I guess it goes back to the Kings deer type thing...

Fee hunting, outfitting, and leasing out to outfitters are all that kept quite a few places above water for a few years.......

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Are you talking Canadians or Albertans. Here in Sask. we get $200 off our lease if a well is dug. That is the first year year and $100 after that despite all the traffica and such. Our leases are tied to the weighted averge cattle price From a high of $6.28 in 2001 to $3.81 in 2005. On top of that add municipal taxes and School taxes that pretty much if not more then double the lease cost. leasees develop the water and put on all their own fenceing. A lease holder sells there improvements whe they sell the ranch. After this fall leases will be going back up as it is a combination of steers ,heifers and culls in the weghted average price. In 2001 the cattle price was figures at $133.80 in 2005 the price was $81.22

I think they were talking mostly Alberta- but isn't that in Canada too :???: In fact the AUM lease for Alberta quoted was something like $1.39 an AUM- which figures out to less than $9 for summer grazing :shock: ...

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

I think they were talking mostly Alberta- but isn't that in Canada too :???: In fact the AUM lease for Alberta quoted was something like $1.39 an AUM- which figures out to less than $9 for summer grazing :shock: ...

We don't claim them unless we have to. :wink:

Oldtimer said:
greg said:
Not ALL Canadians have leases, I own my land.And we DO NOT get paid to let hunters on our land.

Greg I do too...And to me that is a crock that you can't do what you want to with your land-- I guess it goes back to the Kings deer type thing...

So ask the gov,t for some more money Ot... :wink:

Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:
We have always allowed hunting- but always by permission only...About 5 years ago I signed onto the Montana Block Management Program- still have control over who hunts and all rules - the state pays you a yearly fee derived upon by the animal types available and the number of hunters utilizing the area- while exempting you from the liability associated with fee hunting.....Pays about 1/3 of the taxes on the place...But is about 1/2 the amount that the Outfitters are paying to lease hunting rights.....Everything around us has been leased out to outfitters...I like the Block management because it gives the local community hunters a place to hunt- most of who couldn't afford what the outfitters charge....

I own this property....

Not me Oldtimer.I don,t have no leases that cheap...Last time I was at the lease..I did not see any Oil rigs , Of course I did see the timber outfit louisiana pacific that owns the timber rights on my lease..

I am not a horn hunter in most cases, not that I wouldnt if the oppertunity comes up but usually we just try to fill tags...cant eat the horns. Be surprised how many dont allow hunting for does either.....but then they are the ones who usually cry the loudest when there is depredation also.

OT- Your comments on Alta. lease rates seemed far too low and I did some checking. The latest figures I can find were 1997 when the Alta. Cattle Commission hired Len Bauer (economics professer) who worked with Alta. agriculture to find a true cost of lease land. When you add in the cost of improvements and taxes he found the leaseholders paid from a low of 8.60 per AUM to a high of 32.52 per AUM with an average cost being 17.77 per AUM. These figures do not include any fees for management and in all probability have increased since. I do know that we pay even more here in Sask. with our lease fees being some of the highest in North America and we receive little if anything in royalties if there is oil or timber production on the land!
I would like to point out that much of what is said on Agriville (or any website for that matter) is just opinion and often strays from the real situation. I find their posts (often from the left-wing side) entertaining but seldom can agree with their opinions!!

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer must have went back to Agriville to look for more fantasies to post .

No I am here--what do you say? Just thinking about how so many of the facts and figures posted by Canadians can vary so greatly...Kind of depends on if they're talking upwind or talking downwind what comes out......

greg said:
Thats true O.T but thats no different then some Americans EY :lol:

Why does my mind immediatley jump to a gopher trapper from South Dakota? :lol: And here I'm trying to keep a cheery outlook thru Christmas and into the New Year..... :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
Just thinking about how so many of the facts and figures posted by Canadians can vary so greatly...

Primarily because we have great regional differences in land values and the way our RMs are run. Since crown leases are based on land value and taxable assesments you're going to see some wide variance.

In my RM, you can lease a quarter of land for anywhere between $400/yr to $2800/yr, based on assessed value and arable acres. A quarter that I lease is $400/yr, plus $500/yr land tax. If it was fenced off to pasture, it would easily support 40 pair for 6 months of grazing. Thats $22.50 per pair for the lease. That same quarter of land, should I decide to buy it, I could buy for less than $20K.

But you go 45 miles away to Melfort, you won't find a solitary lease for under $2000/yr. And if you want to buy land, you'll be looking at a minimum of $100K/quarter for the poorer land.

Community pastures are similarly confusing. There are different rules and rates depending on whether they are federal, provincial, or municipal pastures. I won't get too into rates here, as I'm just not all that up on them. My local pasture is one of the least expensive (I've been told, I don't know for sure) and the charge is $30/pair/month.

Rod

I'm in central Alta....no leased land around here that I know of, between 15-20 years ago Crown started selling land,thats how I bought my river half,Crown put it up for tender and I got it..

Latest posts