• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

hydraulic motor problems

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a problem we are ahving with a hydraulic motor on our silage wagon. It has a hydraulic motor on the delivery apron and it is causing us grief. It would not turn anymore so I took the motor off of the cahin drive and the motor still wont turn. You can lock the hydraulic lever on the tractor in but the pump does nothing and the pressure just builds up in the one line. Has naybody else ever seen this happen. I was thinking about going and getting a new motor but thought I would ask the question on here first.

sounds like one of the rollers is locked up.

probably about the same cost to fix as to buy new.

at least that has been my experiance. at least new has a bit of warranty

Yup, assuming it's a gear drive motor, the bearings likely piled up and the bull gear is trying to jump the heifer gear. Only takes a minute to slide it apart and confirm. In my experience this is when you apraise it with a critical eye, then throw it over your shoulder and head to the store. :?

You can rebuild the one you have and spend a day going for parts and rebuilding. Then you can hope it last and the housing ain't worn out. Or you can just order a new one and know it is going to work.
As for me. I would take the old one apart and try to rig it to work. Then every time I tried to use it, it would work a while and I would have to work on it a while. When I finely spend 3 times the cost of a new on it I would give up and buy a new one.

Just got back in from doing an exploritory surgery on the motor :? Not good so I closed it back up and sent it too the scrap heap!! :( Now I get to go buy a new one.... :)

Just got back in from doing an exploritory surgery on the motor :? Not good so I closed it back up and sent it too the scrap heap!! :( Now I get to go buy a new one.... :)

Thanks for the info fellas! :D

It seems most of you have more problems with hydrolic motors than you should.

Most of the brand name motors can be rebuilt with great success and cheaply.

Gear types normally have brass wear plates on both sides of the gears that can be replaced and the gears can be replaced as well. The only time I have replaced the motor is if the case is broken.

But then there are very good inexpensive motors out there.

I think that -30 weather is pretty hard on those motors and they usually don't get a chance to warm up before you use them. Plus the breakaway pressure on some of these newer tractors is over 3000lbs. Blew one on the bale shedder last year after a cold spell. Dealer said they sold quite a few that week :roll:

George said:
It seems most of you have more problems with hydrolic motors than you should.

Most of the brand name motors can be rebuilt with great success and cheaply.

Gear types normally have brass wear plates on both sides of the gears that can be replaced and the gears can be replaced as well. The only time I have replaced the motor is if the case is broken.

But then there are very good inexpensive motors out there.

The problem is that the bushings (or wear plates) are a maintenence item. When motor failure on a gear pump occurs it is because the bushings have worn out, allowing the gears to spread and score the case. When that happens both the case and the gears are done for.... leaving absolutely nothing of value left behind, with the exception of the fittings screwed into the ports.
The only time I've had any luck rebuilding them is if I catch the problem it the very early stages of failure. You will notice that the motor is stronger when the oil is cool, and with use seems to lose power. If you catch it then you have a chance.

I never took into consideration the cold you guys have.

I run the entire gravel operation on hydrolics but we cannot run gravel in cold or wet weather so I guess we are talking apples and oranges. I have a hydrolic motor on each conveyor and on the screen decks - - - about thirty or so and have found them to be the most trouble free items we have.

We change hydrolic filters any time we have a line break or twice a year at the minimum. Anytime the oil starts looking cloudy we will change out the entire amount ( 180 Gal on the main plant or about 50 gal on the secondary units).

Manitoba_Rancher said:
I found where they have motors on sale so I ll be headed for one!!

M_R, Is this "place" on 18th Street North, west side of the street and south of the John Deere dealer in Brandon?????
:D :D :D :wink:

M_R- Saved by Princess Auto I'll bet..........They just built a new large store in Saskatoon with a big parking lot........guess what? More people shopping and it's just as crowded as the old store! :? I'm always amazed by the range of products offered and while you have to watch quality there are often some real deals!

Yup saved by Princess Auto. They do have some poor quality stuff in there at times. We bought a generator they had on sale a few weeks ago and it was no damn good took it back and got our $$ back.... :roll:

It sounds like your Princess auto is on the same track as out Rural King - - - many items and good prices but some real junk as well.

If TSC has the same item is will cost 10% less at TSC but Rural King carries items noone else around here carries.

Latest posts