• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Juab County Cowboy poets

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We spent Friday afternoon and all day Saturday at the inaugural Juab county cowboy poetry gathering in Nephi Utah. Really enjoyed it. Had a great time looking at vendors who had leather work, jewelry, cd's and some pretty fine eats as well. Brenn Hill, Andy Nelson, Jeff Carson, Vanessa Carpenter, Dakota Holdaway and others did the main sessions and they were spectacular!!!!
14940E67-11F1-4E23-B623-7377034749EA.jpeg

Brenn Hill- cowboy musician and songwriter extrodinair.
CEBD0E33-C6D2-423D-88E9-0071FA8CB7CD.jpeg

Andy Nelson- Wyoming poet and has a radio program called Clear Out West radio
A18D9DD3-FB79-447D-8733-E8115F708555.jpeg

Vanessa Carpenter- an awesome 17 year old young lady who can play a fine guitar and writes amazing songs
5978EA2A-4A21-4A32-829C-48CF2D2508A0.jpeg

Andy Hedges- cowboy poet and musician from Lubbock Texas. What a Talent!!!! An old soul.
CCBCCC4F-643E-40AE-B47C-29722540A875.jpeg

Dakota Holdaway- a young man from Utah with a limitless potential. He organized and spearheaded the effort to start the gathering. Great young man
4E5EEF97-2858-4F23-8267-D4C3E88A5DD4.jpeg

Had a pretty nice crowd for the first year. Hope it keeps a going.

Last edited:
We went to Elko to the cowboy poetry gathering 4 years ago. There was a few who made me laugh until my sides hurt. There was one gal from Jordan Valley Oregon who was great. Her family has some pretty handy bronc riders and she has a sister married to one of the lesser known Wright brothers. She said the rodeo contractors are breeding bronc so they are breeding bronc riders. Part of that poem she said her 3 year old nephew had spur marks the the neck of his stick horse. And there were others who were great. If you have never taken the time to go I highly recommend that you take the time. It is well worth the trip.

We went to Elko to the cowboy poetry gathering 4 years ago. There was a few who made me laugh until my sides hurt. There was one gal from Jordan Valley Oregon who was great. Her family has some pretty handy bronc riders and she has a sister married to one of the lesser known Wright brothers. She said the rodeo contractors are breeding bronc so they are breeding bronc riders. Part of that poem she said her 3 year old nephew had spur marks the the neck of his stick horse. And there were others who were great. If you have never taken the time to go I highly recommend that you take the time. It is well worth the trip.
It's been on my bucket list for quite some time. The weather hasn't been conductive for us to go, especially now we are Senior Drivers. But I haven't given up hope. A real good friend was MC several years ago. Mike Logan, don't know if you would have ever heard of him. He was a Spanish Teacher from Oklahoma and lived in Helena, Mt when we knew him. He has a tremendous voice and gift for cowboy poetry. His photography is over the top. He has a few books published. Some are verse to photography. "Ranchin Is', "Montana Is", "Yellowstone Is" are a couple of those. Wonderful books!!

I did find this. Many of our friends are featured in the photographs. The rancher on the front cover on the palomino horse was one of "the good ole boys" for sure. Everyone loved Fred. He passed away about a year ago.

Last edited:
I sure wish Eastern Oregon would have some old-time cowboy poetry and music gatherings. Someone with money is missing an opportunity by not starting an authentic chuckwagon supper with poetry, comedy, and music. Have it every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday during the warm months. Great post Leanin. Have you ever gone over to Durango to the Bar D Wranglers Chuckwagon Suppers? I worked for them when they first started as sound engineer. I can't believe they are still going strong after all the years.

I really enjoy Vanessa's style and phrasing.

Last edited:

Latest posts