• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

King Pin Adapter

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Traveler

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these adapters to pull a gooseneck livestock trailer behind a semi? Is there any reason not to?

https://www.kingpinadapter.com/buy-products

I was wondering if there'd be a problem with the fifth-wheel plate tilting, like under acceleration and braking? Was wondering about maybe having a larger ring/base welded around the 7" base it's on. Maybe I'll order it and see what happens.

Poor web site, on this page it says "If you have a offset hitch you may need to block the back of the fifth wheel.
https://www.kingpinadapter.com/c-work

I had one similar to that to pull my 24 footer behind my single axle semi. The only problem with it was my fifth wheel plate was quite high and the plate constantly rocked when coming to a stop and tilting back when taking off. It sure seemed like it was hard on my stock trailer hitch. I eventually sold it and welded a plate with a ball on it behind the fifth wheel plate on the frame of the semi and it was the right height for the trailer. This product is a good idea but just didn't work for my set up.

I appreciate the replies.

badroute said:
I had one similar to that to pull my 24 footer behind my single axle semi. The only problem with it was my fifth wheel plate was quite high and the plate constantly rocked when coming to a stop and tilting back when taking off. It sure seemed like it was hard on my stock trailer hitch. I eventually sold it and welded a plate with a ball on it behind the fifth wheel plate on the frame of the semi and it was the right height for the trailer. This product is a good idea but just didn't work for my set up.
Good to know, before it got ordered.

For dump trailers we have to block the fifth wheel in place to not move.
I think I'd rather but a ball in behind the fifth wheel and also have it lower if needed.
Would be real easy to add it on.

Just order a king pin assembly that slides up into your coupler pipe that is what we sell when guys want to pull with a king pin set-up.

I looked at the website and the pictures look like they cut the shank off a ball and welded it to a king pin. Not safe in my opinion.

Guys I've talked to that have these did'nt like them to much play between the ball and king pin made for a jerky ride.

Check out Redneck Trailer Supplies if you do want one as the quality will be there in the product.

Thanks again. Sometimes it's just as valuable finding out what not to do, as what you should do.

Latest posts