• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Long Tall Texan

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
I was just turning 14 (1964) and staying with my West Texas great uncle and aunt for a few months and I was given the choice at roundup time, whether I wanted to stay and help fix the big chuck wagon BBQ supper that was served to family, friends, and neighbors after the roundup corral work was done, or go work the cattle. I chose to go work cattle and volunteered to do the castrating. Everyone was skeptical (except my uncle) that knew, I knew, what I was doing. He knew my auntie had taught me the best way to perform this surgery. They let me do the first one and then the boys decided that was girl work and I had the job all day.

When the cowboys, now musicians were setting up after the BBQ, I asked if I could play guitar until they were ready. They said sure and I picked up the guitar and with a C7 chord on the 5th fret (now E7), I alternated basses using the E and A string and sang (well sort of) with one of the boy cousins strumming along and doing the chorus.

Giddy up
Giddy up
Well I'm a long tall Texan
I ride a small paint horse
(She rides from Colorado on a small paint horse)
I ride a small paint horse
Well Texans look at me and say
Hurrah hurrah is that your horse?

I wear a flat brimmed hat
(She rides from Colorado in a flat brimmed hat)
I wear a flat brimmed hat
Well Texans look at me and say
Hurrah hurrah is that your hat?

Well I was castratin' at the roundup
With my trusty knife
With knee high boots down on my feet
I seen a bull a comin'
Comin' with cajones
And he went down in defeat

I castrate and make bulls bawl
Well cowboys look at me and say
Hurrah hurrah she makes bulls bawl

That evening after the BBQ with fiddle, guitar, and banjo with my uncle playing fiddle and calling the square dancing, I readied for bed and heard my uncle say, "You know ma, I love Faye to death, but she is a strange one."

"Yes, pa and I hope she never changes."

I think I have fulfilled my aunts request.

Latest posts