• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Opening day dove hunt

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TWOROPES

Reaction score
Hunted opening day at our place in Karnes County Texas, limited out by 0830 had a great time, Southeast wind was blowing 30 mph and so were the birds, should have limited by 0730.

Our opening day dove was a couple three weeks back.. September 1st maybe... Sounded like the fourth of July and one of the dogs ripped the screen door off trying to get into the house.. Heck has no furry like a scard, 130 pound dog.

Were you guys being serious about "dove" hunting? Or just bird,like duck and geese. We have LOTS of doves they are a pain in the rear when they get into the buildings,but we do not have a dove hunt allowed here. Ok and if you were serious...do you eat them ? This may sound stupid but I'm truly wondering.

Yeah, mourning doves have seasons in several states (not all as some anti-hunting vactions have not prevented season from openning).. Most people breast them out and than pan fry/saute them.. NOt a lot of meat per bird.

Are you referring to Rock Doves Mrs. Greg? You know Pigeons... They eat them some places but I wouldn't.. People shoot then as if they are vermin.. I knowthe previous owners of this place punched a few holes in the roof of my pole barn with some .410 ammo.

Hmmm...I'm not sure what they are greg calls them doves...they're gray,not very big and the Coo{sound} All I know they make huge messes in any building they get into. Thanks,for answering

IL Rancher said:
Yeah, mourning doves have seasons in several states (not all as some anti-hunting vactions have not prevented season from openning).. Most people breast them out and than pan fry/saute them.. NOt a lot of meat per bird.

Are you referring to Rock Doves Mrs. Greg? You know Pigeons... They eat them some places but I wouldn't.. People shoot then as if they are vermin.. I knowthe previous owners of this place punched a few holes in the roof of my pole barn with some .410 ammo.

The Oldtimers tell me they used to eat a lot of pigeon back in the dirty thirty's- but then my grandma told of one family that actually canned and ate gophers one winter before they starved out... :roll:

Latest posts