• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Other trophies from other years

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher said:
You tell Don the rut is going crazy up here Ty saw three bucks today over 150 just doggin' does.

I'll pass that along. He mentioned hunting again yesterday. I'll see if I can call his bluff and make him plan a road trip. (all talk, no action :shock: ) Keep an eye out for a non-typical - big drops LOL, the works. I'd like something different. I'd even take mine down if he tagged something like that.

Faster horses said:
BMR, thanks for the input. We, too, could really see the difference in the haircoat of our cows. We didn't realize our cows were not black, but pictures don't lie. They weren't black, they were brownish or reddish-black. I didn't know cows hair was supposed to shine in the winter time either.

The glossy haircoat is a reflection of what is happening internally to the cow.

I'm very pleased you passed along the difference you are seeing.
FH- The "Red Hair" gene is present in EVERY MAMMAL who grows hair. In some it is dominant - others recessive, but the allele is there. Even with humans who have jet black brunette hair, if you get the sunlight shining just right you can see a red or mahogony tint or sheen in the hair. Good nutrition (Minerals) puts a sheen or glow on the hair shaft and allows the red tint to present itself.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
Faster horses said:
BMR, thanks for the input. We, too, could really see the difference in the haircoat of our cows. We didn't realize our cows were not black, but pictures don't lie. They weren't black, they were brownish or reddish-black. I didn't know cows hair was supposed to shine in the winter time either.

The glossy haircoat is a reflection of what is happening internally to the cow.

I'm very pleased you passed along the difference you are seeing.
FH- The "Red Hair" gene is present in EVERY MAMMAL who grows hair. In some it is dominant - others recessive, but the allele is there. Even with humans who have jet black brunette hair, if you get the sunlight shining just right you can see a red or mahogony tint or sheen in the hair. Good nutrition (Minerals) puts a sheen or glow on the hair shaft and allows the red tint to present itself.

DOC HARRIS

Doc the mineral seems to change the hair from dull orange to shiny black. Have been told it is Copper deficent. The cattle sure look nicer.

Well, doc, I can guarantee you that black cattle with a reddish triangle up by their withers is a sign of copper deficiency. I saw it in our cattle and I saw it go away when we got copper into them. I've seen it in cattle many times and I've seen it go away, as BMR noted in his post.

I think what you are talking about is entirely something else. Black cattle are supposed to be BLACK. Shiny black. Do you remember the picture of some of our cows and calves that haymaker posted for me this summer? Those black Angus were shiny black. There warn't no red tint in thos'ns.

Sure, some crossbred black cattle have some red genetics that show up as a reddish tint in the lower flank and perhaps around the brisket and sometimes above the hocks.. That however, is not what I am talking about. Another thing you will notice when cattle are balanced nutritionally is that they won't appear to be 'tight hided'. But that's another story.

Faster horses said:
Well, doc, I can guarantee you that black cattle with a reddish triangle up by their withers is a sign of copper deficiency. I saw it in our cattle and I saw it go away when we got copper into them. I've seen it in cattle many times and I've seen it go away, as BMR noted in his post.

I think what you are talking about is entirely something else. Black cattle are supposed to be BLACK. Shiny black. Do you remember the picture of some of our cows and calves that haymaker posted for me this summer? Those black Angus were shiny black. There warn't no red tint in thos'ns.

Sure, some crossbred black cattle have some red genetics that show up as a reddish tint in the lower flank and perhaps around the brisket and sometimes above the hocks.. That however, is not what I am talking about. Another thing you will notice when cattle are balanced nutritionally is that they won't appear to be 'tight hided'. But that's another story.
Hey FH -
Don't misunderstand me. I am not correcting you about the red tint not being Copper deficiency! You are right - it IS. I am just commenting about the refractive light skewing obliquely through hair shafts and creating a discernible Autumn sunset appearance ostensibly apparent to the sagacious observer, not unlike a spectral vision, flowing and soaring as an ectoplasmic wraith, emblematic as a sensitiive butterfly, visiting blossoms for the purpose of fertiliz - - WAIT A MINUTE! What the heck am I talking about? Oh - -yea - -red hair in mammals. We've all got it - - not too be confused with not having two cents to rub together.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts