• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pup Care/Type

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mytfarms

Reaction score
Well, I found a woman who loves dogs. I love cows, horses, and the odd chicken, she's a dog, cat, and pig person. I know, what a saint I am. :wink:

I am considering surprising her on our anniversary this summer with a pup. That's an August time frame, and I want to do ample research prior to pulling the trigger on something like this. Ideally, I'd want one that can stay with me to clean out a corral, but isn't just overly cowy that he/she works everything I have in the pasture. Enough sense to train a little cow help into, but quiet enough to be content with checking fence, chickens, and water 6 days in 7.

Any thoughts on type or how to select one that will achieve that? I don't get into a new enterprise quickly or lightly, so I'd like to make a good decision up front that means a great life for the dog and a useful companion for me and Mrs. MYT.

Also, any training materials I can read/watch? Thanks in advance.

I love Blue Heelers or Blue Heeler cross. But you wouldn't have chickens or cats left, so that breed is probably out. :lol:

Seriously, I would check into English Shepherds. They are kind of a forgotten breed these days, but they are wonderful farm dogs.

Maybe you should talk to George about a German Shepard pup. They are loyal dogs,might help you in the pen and your wife could sleep easy at night if you have to be away.

Hmm, thanks BMR! I had considered that actually, wasn't sure of their capability, but I know she's really into that type. Seems I just saw a post recently where George showed them bringing up a bull. Thanks folks.

Poodle and Clubby Cattle Clipping by Cade. I'll get my Quickbooks set up immediately! :lol:

I like my Hangin Tree/Border Collie. Excellent cow dogs, not near as much bite as a Heeler, so they don't tear up the hams on a porker. Mine used to be pretty protective of me, but she has mellowed, to the point she will work with the boss, and other guys at work.

Latest posts