• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question for you hay wrappers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
For various reasons we decided to get a Tubeline bale wrapper and to retire the tuber we had been using. We've wrapped a couple hundred bales with it and so now my burning question of the day is... HOW IN THE WORLD do you make a straight row with the darned thing??? :shock:
Seems by the time you realize it's crooked it's REALLY crooked. I'm thinking of running a string line a few feet to one side, and maybe tying a stick to the machine which extends to the string.
I guess there's lots of stuff to try but maybe some of you folks have already tried the stuff that doesn't work so I don't have to! :D

The guys I know that have one put the rows near a fence and use that as a gauge. I myself would'nt worry about it. I've heard of a guy who baled some bales that ended up being cone shaped a bit. He unrolled them and rebaled it. That's petty in my opinion by this time next year knowone will know or care.

The owner of this ranch is a former Engineer and can be real particular about how we do things.

We put down lines for our round bales and for the stack wagon inside the barn. It definitely helps the operator to line things up.

We start off by using a 250' steel measuring tape. We stake the end of it with a spike nail, pull it tight and then apply field marker (lime). We use an old one gallon laundry detergent jug for applying the lime.

Lines in the barn

Lime applicator

Just for fun

Hope this helps.

few dairy's here wet bale and long bag. One small dairy did it a couple years after buying the bags he said it was like building a hay shed and burning it down every 4 or 5 years. :D

jodywy said:
few dairy's here wet bale and long bag. One small dairy did it a couple years after buying the bags he said it was like building a hay shed and burning it down every 4 or 5 years. :D[/quote

Those kooky dairy farmers]

The lime idea might be just the ticket. I wouldn't care how crooked the rows are but they take up a lot more space if they are not straight. All our feed must be kept behind game fence and that stuff isn't cheap.

The guy I know tried grazeing some sheep by it once but they picked holes in the plastic.

Latest posts