• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

salt & mineral feeders

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
Welcome.

But you are using the wrong kind of mineral.
:p :wink: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
From this thread, it sounds like Right Now Mineral is getting pretty popular. BTW, it is weather resistant and there is a lot more to that than consistent particle size.

Faster horses said:
Right Now mineral is made by Cargill.( Lots of people don't want to do business with Cargill since they are one of the big three packers.)

Never heard that reason.

What is the cal to phos ratio you are using? How much zinc, copper and vitamin e does it contain? At 4 oz. per head per day, you are close to right on as far as consumption.

If you use a good mineral, it should not get hard if it gets wet and should stand up to weather quite well. Cheaper minerals that contain grain do get hard and set up in your mineral feeder. The quality of the mineral is lessened with grain added and you lose alot due to weather. I don't know if Right Now mineral contains grain by-products or not. It should not.

Every Vigortone tag I've ever seen lists distillers grains

Because we use a mineral that isn't bothered by weather (Vigortone) my husband prefers to use troughs for mineral. The cows and calves both can get to it easily and they don't tip over. These are the 12' or 16' troughs that are sold at any livestock supply store. They are easy to drag from pasture to pasture.

Distillers grain is in the product to keep the yeast culture alive.

There is a huge difference between distillers grain and processed
grain by-products.

Vigortone mineral withstands weather exceptionally well. And it
does have a lot to do with particle size. There is no settling out
with larger particles at the bottom and smaller at the top.

In a lot of rain, the mineral will form a crust on top. Just go
back and break that crust up and the cattle will go right back and
eat the mineral. It doesn't sour like mineral containing grain.
It also doesn't set up like concrete.

Cargill does a lot of advertising their mineral. Who do you think pays
for that? They also are the main supplier of phosphorus. Almost all mineral companies experienced a hefty price increase in January because of the increased price of phosphorus. Vigortone does very little advertising, depends on their dealers and fieldmen to contact potential customers.

I didn't say Cargill was a bad mineral. There are some bad ones, Right
Now mineral does not fall into this catagory. However, to folks in this area it is more complicated to use because of the different formulas for different times of the year. Vigortone, which I believe is the oldest mineral company still in business, makes feeding mineral fairly simple.

Hope this helps!

Faster horses said:

grain by-products.

I know that the CHS mineral has "processed grain by-products" on there tags and the only gain by poduct in there in Distillers grain.

Faster horses said:

grain by-products.

Vigortone mineral withstands weather exceptionally well. And it
does have a lot to do with particle size. There is no settling out
with larger particles at the bottom and smaller at the top.

In a lot of rain, the mineral will form a crust on top. Just go
back and break that crust up and the cattle will go right back and
eat the mineral. It doesn't sour like mineral containing grain.
It also doesn't set up like concrete.

Cargill does a lot of advertising their mineral. Who do you think pays
for that? They also are the main supplier of phosphorus. Almost all mineral companies experienced a hefty price increase in January because of the increased price of phosphorus. Vigortone does very little advertising, depends on their dealers and fieldmen to contact potential customers.

I didn't say Cargill was a bad mineral. There are some bad ones, Right
Now mineral does not fall into this catagory. However, to folks in this area it is more complicated to use because of the different formulas for different times of the year. Vigortone, which I believe is the oldest mineral company still in business, makes feeding mineral fairly simple.

Hope this helps!
Doggone right we advertise Right Now.....it's a great program with great value and we do everything we can to communicate that fact!

It's a very simple program.....and really cost effective because it allows strategic mineral supplementation based on the grass maturity phase.

RJK, you promote grass maturity phase for Right Time mineral, but what grass type????????? Are you talking native or planted??????? Different grasses grow at different stages??? You're kidding, right????? What ype of grasses are you talking about??

We run on warm and cold season grasses during the summer and during the winter. Are you implying that just because we run on cold season grasses in the winter, that we will get WHAT Right Now puts in the grass mix that we need??????? Just because we use Emerald, when the grass is green, and Bronze when the grass is dead, doesn't mean we are benefiting from the conveintely, RFD-TV colored tags.

What's so simple about it????????????? Put it out when the mineral is almost gone??????????? Where's the value?????????????? Haven't see a significant weight gain becasue we are using Right Now. Price between mineral is pretty much the same. Have I seen a difference?????????? Yes I have, it costs me the same amount each week if I buy Right Now, or Wind and Rain, or ADM. And they eat it all the same!!!!?????????????!!!!!

sic 'em reds said:
RJK, you promote grass maturity phase for Right Time mineral, but what grass type????????? Are you talking native or planted??????? Different grasses grow at different stages??? You're kidding, right????? What ype of grasses are you talking about??

We run on warm and cold season grasses during the summer and during the winter. Are you implying that just because we run on cold season grasses in the winter, that we will get WHAT Right Now puts in the grass mix that we need??????? Just because we use Emerald, when the grass is green, and Bronze when the grass is dead, doesn't mean we are benefiting from the conveintely, RFD-TV colored tags.

What's so simple about it????????????? Put it out when the mineral is almost gone??????????? Where's the value?????????????? Haven't see a significant weight gain becasue we are using Right Now. Price between mineral is pretty much the same. Have I seen a difference?????????? Yes I have, it costs me the same amount each week if I buy Right Now, or Wind and Rain, or ADM. And they eat it all the same!!!!?????????????!!!!!
Are you running stockers, brood cows? There is a cool season grass, high mag formulation (Gold). Emerald is warm season when it is actively growing, Bronze is warm season when it has become mature or dormant.
There is a great deal of variability in nutrition provided by grass as it progresses through the stages of growth. Usually highest when it's young, green, and growing, then it drops as it matures or enters dormancy in the fall/winter. The Right Now program addresses these differences with different formulations (Emerald and Bronze).

Although Vigortone has over 120 mineral products, we find that cattle on a year-round mineral program do well on the same mineral all year long.
What we use in this area is based on grass samples taken at different ranches. We have a huge database on grass here at different stages in the year. In the spring to cut the cost, we do have a lower phos mineral that producers have been using with great success. As the grass curve changes they will consume more of this but then they can go to a higher phos mineral. We don't think you can base mineral consumption on what happens in a day, a week or a month. We figure it on the whole year and we are usually right on target for the recommended amount per head per day.

I have worked with these producers since 1994. The mineral has added 30 pounds to everyones weaning weights ONCE. You won't get added 30 lbs. every year. But you won't lose that 30 lbs. either. This mineral has made people money or they wouldn't keep using it. Plus the education that Vigortone has provided that wasn't available anywhere has helped immensely. We have one veterinarian here and it is important to keep cattle healthy. That is our job and we strive to do it well.

A great product plus great service=a successful partnership.

Faster horses said:
Although Vigortone has over 120 mineral products, we find that cattle on a year-round mineral program do well on the same mineral all year long.
What we use in this area is based on grass samples taken at different ranches. We have a huge database on grass here at different stages in the year. In the spring to cut the cost, we do have a lower phos mineral that producers have been using with great success. As the grass curve changes they will consume more of this but then they can go to a higher phos mineral.
Very right.....Right Now takes this into account with the Emerald for spring/early summer, then Bronze for later summer & fall/winter.
We don't think you can base mineral consumption on what happens in a day, a week or a month. We figure it on the whole year and we are usually right on target for the recommended amount per head per day.

I have worked with these producers since 1994. The mineral has added 30 pounds to everyones weaning weights ONCE. You won't get added 30 lbs. every year. But you won't lose that 30 lbs. either. This mineral has made people money or they wouldn't keep using it. Plus the education that Vigortone has provided that wasn't available anywhere has helped immensely. We have one veterinarian here and it is important to keep cattle healthy. That is our job and we strive to do it well.

A great product plus great service=a successful partnership.

Latest posts