• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Savage .22 hornet

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
A friend of mine wanted to sell me a gun. It's a savage .22 hornet with a 3X9 bushnell scope. Gun's been shot about 10 times and is real new as well as the scope. The outfit is price here locally for 319 for the gun and 125 for the scope. He wants 250 for the gun,scope, and 2boxes of ammo. I buy the gun but he tells me it jams on ejection (single shot) and he'll send it to the gun dealer and get it fixed. Good deal I say so we send it off and it takes a month. I shoot 10 rounds through it after we get it back and it jams. He takes it in and they give him a new gun. He shoots it there and it works ok. I shot the new gun once and it jams. He's real agreeable and so is the dealer so my question is , what's up? I know it's a cheap gun , I'm alright with that because it's going to be carried in the truck to shoot coyotes and dogs . It doesn't need to be any good , just shootable. Should I switch brands of guns? I did notice on the hornet the rim on the back of the shell casing is pretty thick compared to say a .223 and it doesn't have a very deep grove for the ejector to grip. Any thoughts? They have a browning at the same shop for 280 more but I really don't want to spend that much on a bang around gun . Should I?

Mike, it's a model 93.

Piece of junk. Although Savage makes some very good guns, this is a 22 rimfire retrofit with a press together action/barrel. The action is so weak that reloading is dangerous for it. Won't handle the CUP pressures.

The cost is cheap because it is. Saw one (used) at a gun show a few weeks ago that was selling for $95 bucks.

I have a Ruger 77/22 hornet that works pretty good for a truck gun. The nice thing about a hornet is the noise is much lower than the larger centerfires.

If you need small gun for varmints, etc. why don't you try a 22 magnum? Marlin makes a good shooting one that is inexpensive.

New England Firearms makes an inexpensive single shot rifle (with hammer) that is virtually indestructive but you have to put up with a shotgun trigger. (Ugly pull, with lots of travel) They shoot pretty fair though.

The Model 40 Savage in 22 hornet is a fine gun. I think (?) it is only made in the Varmint Series now. Has the new Accutrigger too.

Mike said:
Mike, it's a model 93.

Piece of junk. Although Savage makes some very good guns, this is a 22 rimfire retrofit with a press together action/barrel. The action is so weak that reloading is dangerous for it. Won't handle the CUP pressures.

The cost is cheap because it is. Saw one (used) at a gun show a few weeks ago that was selling for $95 bucks.

I have a Ruger 77/22 hornet that works pretty good for a truck gun. The nice thing about a hornet is the noise is much lower than the larger centerfires.

If you need small gun for varmints, etc. why don't you try a 22 magnum? Marlin makes a good shooting one that is inexpensive.

New England Firearms makes an inexpensive single shot rifle (with hammer) that is virtually indestructive but you have to put up with a shotgun trigger. (Ugly pull, with lots of travel) They shoot pretty fair though.

The Model 40 Savage in 22 hornet is a fine gun. I think (?) it is only made in the Varmint Series now. Has the new Accutrigger too.
I can trade for the stevens version with an accutrigger for about a hundred more. Sound like a good deal? 95 bucks is too high for a modle 93.

Red Robin said:
I don't know. I know it's supposedly better action with the accutrigger...or so my buddie said.

The trigger won't keep it from jamming if it's the same action.

I traded for a stevens model 200. Lot better looking bolt. Got a 22-250 . Even money. It's an ugly synthetic stock but it'll be fine if it shoots. It sure is balanced alot better , has a round bolt instead of the flat looking deal the other one had. Nicer action.

Red Robin said:
I traded for a stevens model 200. Lot better looking bolt. Got a 22-250 . Even money. It's an ugly synthetic stock but it'll be fine if it shoots. It sure is balanced alot better , has a round bold instead of the flat looking deal the other one had. Nicer action.

Good deal. That one should shoot.

One important thing stayed the same, the money. I doubt the coyotes or dogs mind. It'll make a little bigger pop out the truck window though I bet. I'd probably rather have the little caliber but this will do.

Latest posts