• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Shipped the broken mouth cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
We gathered the broken mouth cows on Saturday. Shipped them on Sunday. They were processed on Monday. The checks came on Thursday. The plant has a rate they pay depending on carcass weight and grade. It runs from $1.49 to $1.30. On 32 cows I had 20 at the $1.49, 11 at $1.48, and 1 at $1.40. I love it when a plan comes together. These cows paid the original purchase price and a good portion of the feed. There wont be a lot of dollars against the calves when we sell them. There are still a few up in the hills that avoided the cowboys on the first sweep. I talked to one of the cowboys yesterday evening. He rode it again. He caught 5 pairs (none of mine). Said that he saw 6 more pairs (some were mine) but he was by himself and couldn't get them handled. This is a pretty steep nasty piece of ground with a lot of junipers for cows to get behind. They will ride it again next week.

Last edited:
I see from the report out of Vale it dropped 5 cents last week and another 5 cents this week.. Those few odd ball cows that missed the first gather aren't going to do as well as the the ones we shipped.

I see from the report out of Vale it dropped 5 cents last week and another 5 cents this week.. Those few odd ball cows that missed the first gather aren't going to do as well as the the ones we shipped.
Still, with so little investment in the calves, it is a win win.

Latest posts