• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Silage bale tuber.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3words

Reaction score
Have any of you ever heard of one of these,Agripac 9100 Lastic Tuber- silage bagger.Are they any good,any idea what they would be worth?

Interested myself. I can make a bit of silage thru the summer that would help out the rest of the year

One similar sitting at Kleena Kleene BC that you might buy fairly reasonable. If you are up to the trip I can ask the owner what he wants for it.

gcreekrch wasn't it you that put up silage bales with a tuber?I know someone has mentioned it on here before about using a tuber.

I have had a pronovost for a few years now it works well I think they are similar if not identical. they are not that common in the west so price should be reasonable mine cost 8500 included 3000 worth of tubes. The tubes are available at canadian hay and silage in Bowden ab. also at true value hardware
special order. One plus is you cannot skimp on wraps the tubes are 4mil thick so plenty tough.

There are a few downsides to the tuber, but not necessarily serious. One thing to keep in mind is that if the bag leaks for whatever reason you will lose everything in the bag, as opposed to wrapped bales where you only lose a small area around the hole. So if you have wildlife including ravens, coyotes, elk, deer, etc. you need to be very careful and when you smell silage you better be out there with your tape and patch the holes.
The bags are rather awkward to put on the machine but not too bad once you get the hang of it.
You need at least on extra piece of equipment in the bale yard when you tube the bales as you need a tractor to pull the tuber and something to hold the last bales of the row in place.
One thing about it is the investment is low, and bale silage is great feed if put up right.

Silver said:
There are a few downsides to the tuber, but not necessarily serious. One thing to keep in mind is that if the bag leaks for whatever reason you will lose everything in the bag, as opposed to wrapped bales where you only lose a small area around the hole. So if you have wildlife including ravens, coyotes, elk, deer, etc. you need to be very careful and when you smell silage you better be out there with your tape and patch the holes.
The bags are rather awkward to put on the machine but not too bad once you get the hang of it.
You need at least on extra piece of equipment in the bale yard when you tube the bales as you need a tractor to pull the tuber and something to hold the last bales of the row in place.
One thing about it is the investment is low, and bale silage is great feed if put up right.

Thats the only thing that is really stopping me from buying it is ravens,our neighbours have a big chicken farm and we have lots of ravens.Couple years back i put a silage pile on the ground that was 50' wide by 120' long and covered it with plastic.It was like a magnet for ravens,the first few days i tried keeping up with all the holes they were making but it became a waste of time.With in a week they had the whole cover ruined.

The lastic tubers stretch the tube to fit the bale then it elastics back to the bale skin tight, if there is a hole spoilage is limited to about 6" diameter around the hole.I have had good results against birds by attaching net wrap on top of the bales along the full length guess they don't like getting their feet tangled in it.

3words said:
Silver said:

Thats the only thing that is really stopping me from buying it is ravens,our neighbours have a big chicken farm and we have lots of ravens.Couple years back i put a silage pile on the ground that was 50' wide by 120' long and covered it with plastic.It was like a magnet for ravens,the first few days i tried keeping up with all the holes they were making but it became a waste of time.With in a week they had the whole cover ruined.

Hey guess what happens when a bunch of 4 mo. old calves get out and run across a newly covered silage pile . . . :mad: :mad:

burnt said:
3words said:
Silver said:

Hey guess what happens when a bunch of 4 mo. old calves get out and run across a newly covered silage pile . . . :mad: :mad:

Try 200 cows. :mad:

3words said:
Silver said:

when we were using a bunker for silage we threw wheat seed on top makes a mat the spoilage was the same as if covered with plastic and just threw it in the feed wagon. just a idea now we use bags because it takes to much hay to make a bunker and I have a lot more room in the feed yard in summer compared to a perment bunker

Latest posts