• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Some pictures from the desert- part 1

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Howdy all! Hope this fine April Sunday morning finds you well. Thought I'd take a minute and share a few shots with ya of our adventures here under the wide blue sky on the Utah desert. Well, mostly desert. I did manage to sneak out ice fishing a few times this past winter. This is my good friend Jack on a trip we took to Fish Lake. I know in most places a perch that size would be called bait. But we made up for the small size by catching a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of the little buggers. Filleting a few hundred 4 inch perch made me decide to stop catching them. :D

We took a trip out Nevada way a weekend or 2 back. Sure saw some pretty country. This is a canyon called Blue Mass, aptly named for the granite ledges that have a light blue hue to them. We saw lots of mustangs, antelope and elk on our trip too.

There was a beautiful old homestead there on the edge of a gorgeous meadow. Had a little stream of snow melt runoff winding through the willows and quakies. Its a pretty spot not many folks know about.

The old walls were Quake and then had been covered over with tongue and groove inside. Lots of work by a handy craftsman.

The old ranch sure was built in a pretty canyon. We found some old sheep paint branding cans by the old corral. Bet if those old cabins could talk, they'd sure have some stories. :D

The Deep Creek Mountains are north and east of Blue Mass. They are a rugged and remote range that straddle the Utah/Nevada line. We saw 2 automobiles for the entire 400 mile round trip. :D :D :D

My wonderful wife and our beautiful daughter. It is surely a great thing she takes after her momma. Can't believe how quick they grow up. She starts high school next year!

Littlest H is a handy rock climber! He was in heaven with all the granite boulders to explore. He is a stout, lanky 4th grader. We have been blessed with 2 really good kids.

He can climb a tree pretty good too.

The Leaning H Livestock crew. I only wish somebody still lived in that beautiful old place. Time and the weather will keep taking their toll until it's all gone without a kind steward to keep things in repair.

An old gate built from what was handy and skill.

You can almost see the wood smoke curling up from a stove with a pot of coffee and some biscuits warming for supper. The sheep and cattle would be content on the meadow and amongst the sage and cedar trees. Horses munching oats in the horse pen. Kids playing in the ledges or by the creek. Wish I was riding a good horse down to that ranch to play a hand or three of cards with the folks who owned and built it.

Very nice pictures.. I've always like arid areas, and well.. Utah, Nevada, etc are just my kind of scenery. Love the sagebrush, we have lots of it here as well, as well as prickly pear cacti. There's some old places, mostly on reservation land around here that would have a lot of stories to tell, especially from the gold mining days

Thanks for the trip 'H. Those old abandoned places always leave me feeling a little sad thinking of the untold stories and the I always feel a sense of loss. But they are sure interesting to see so keep posting them.

Silver said:
Thanks for the trip 'H. Those old abandoned places always leave me feeling a little sad thinking of the untold stories and the I always feel a sense of loss. But they are sure interesting to see so keep posting them.

Exactly my feeling Silver.

They were once the pride and hope of someone's dreams, served their purpose and for some reason, abandoned to decay.

thanks for posting the beautiful pictures 'H.

Silver said:

:nod:
I always think about the stories they could tell, and wonder what happened that no one lives there anymore.
Sure appreciate seeing the pictures. Neat that you appreciate the old ways.

Your kids are growing up too fast, just like most kids.

Great pictures. I think Ken Overcast had a poem or song about going back in time to an old homestead such as this. His work may be entitled "Mist of the Wild Rose," and it is really a touching story.

Thanks for the nice photos.

Cool pictures. I think that little canyon came strait out of a Zane Grey novel. At least that's what I imagined some of the ranches he described looking like.

Somewhere I read something about not laying up treasurers that rot and fall apart, but lay up heavenly treasurers that will last. Good chance those folks that lived there would add a hearty amen. Certainly was a show place at one time.

Latest posts