• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stockshow success 😁

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
It's our county jr livestock show this week. Little H has moved on from high school but she still sells lots of lambs to kids on the county. Littlest H has two pigs this year. His white pig "Pops" did well but we knew he'd most likely be a red ribbon hog and he was.
581B6C20-D1C0-4D80-86C6-47FB4F7E8C94.jpeg

But we had high hopes for his black gilt. And she did awesome. Won her class and ended up 10th best overall!😁😁😁

4C8295FB-AC81-4FD6-923A-6FA5529A7070.jpeg
4C8295FB-AC81-4FD6-923A-6FA5529A7070.jpeg

AF29D7DC-90B5-46DB-B9FB-08F3846BFFE8.jpeg

A great start to the show. Smiles all around. Showmanship tomorrow
48184306-434F-400E-B080-B2051693C35E.jpeg

He should have been here tonight with his animals. We went to the market sale tonight. Lambs were $10 a pound straight through. About 25 lambs. The lowest a steer brought was $4.00. And only one at that price. The majority were $4.50 - $5.00 Bert's daughter topped the sale at $7.25. There was over 60 steers. We never stayed the hogs but they started out at $14.00 and 40 hogs later were still bringing $8.00. I was pretty amazed at how this community turns out for the kids at the market sale. It was a barn burner.
Oh, they had some market rabbits. I missed most of them but saw a pen of three rabbits bring $500.

Sale day today. Our county supports the stockshow but not nearly like the numbers up Webfoots way. The floor price for hogs is only .70 a pound. They sell for over that but we won't approach $14.00 a pound. I have buyers lined up for littlest H's pigs. They will sell for around $700 each. It's been a fun few days with plenty of work. Always good to see the next crop of AG kids coming along. Looking forward to this evening and taking a deep breath after it's over for one more year. But enjoying the moment because time flies.

Sale day today. Our county supports the stockshow but not nearly like the numbers up Webfoots way. The floor price for hogs is only .70 a pound. They sell for over that but we won't approach $14.00 a pound. I have buyers lined up for littlest H's pigs. They will sell for around $700 each. It's been a fun few days with plenty of work. Always good to see the next crop of AG kids coming along. Looking forward to this evening and taking a deep breath after it's over for one more year. But enjoying the moment because time flies.
Good on him. There is a lot for those kids to learn. Important life skills.

There was two guys there last night from big ag. They made sure that every steer brought at least $4.00. They got stuck with a few but I am sure they can afford it. And as I said only one brought $4.00. They got stuck at $4.25 on a few. They also paid over $5.00 on a few where they were intent on buying it not just running the price up. I am told that prices aren't always this high. Bert's daughter told me she got $2.60 for her steer 2 years ago.

Once again it is not who the Grand Champion is. Parents, family, connections, and salesmanship before the sale seem to be what pays off.

I am humbled at the goodness of people. I tried to buy Dalton's pigs but was outbid by two amazing guys who ran them up to $1000 each😳😁
I was able to buy a couple later to help some other kids and fulfill the orders for great pork. After the sale, both buyers came up to my wife and I and said how much they admire Dalton and how hard he works. Overcome with gratitude.

I am humbled at the goodness of people. I tried to buy Dalton's pigs but was outbid by two amazing guys who ran them up to $1000 each😳😁
I was able to buy a couple later to help some other kids and fulfill the orders for great pork. After the sale, both buyers came up to my wife and I and said how much they admire Dalton and how hard he works. Overcome with gratitude.
That is great!!!

Sounds like you two are doing a great job.

Thanks for sharing the heartwarming photos. Showing for several years, it was a great time and a wonderful vacation away from the ranch. During my 20s and 30s, I volunteered a lot of time to 4H and FFA mainly giving showmanship classes from a livestock judge's standpoint. Congratulations on great parenting.

Yay congrats I just got my two new show goats I made a forum for that!!

Latest posts