• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Superior Auction

Help Support Ranchers.net:

From what I watched and heard my folks talked about they had a very good sale. I had two uncles that sold on the sale anxious to talk to them when they get back from Steamboat Springs but in my opinion they should be tickled with the sale.

We're thinkin abotu marketing 100 or so calves through Superior this fall or next spring, has everybody here had good luck with them?

Jake, I think alot of it depends on the Superior rep. the last couple times we tried to sale our calves on Superior they brought well under the market price and the video just did not present them well. The thing that I did not understand was with in half an hour POing the calves we had them sold private treaty to the same buyers that would not bid on them for the money we wanted. Hopefully they have upgraded their video equipment as when we were trying it, I think that was alot of the reason our calves did not look very good.

that is kind of what I was worried about, I figured they'd video the cattle once and if they looked like crap you were stuck.

We don't have a first-hand experience with Superior as we only sold through them one time. But I agree with nenmrancher, a good video is
really important. My advice would be for you to be sure and see the video before it is aired. I was at a video sale, (not Superior) and these bunch
of Gelbvieh calves came through. The bidding was going okay and then a couple of holstein cows showed up with the Gelbvieh and the bidding really slowed down. The holsteins obviously should have been edited out and weren't.

I think some reps have the ability to video better than others too.

Other than that, I know people who repeatedly sell on Superior and are happy with it. I know that if you 'no sell' them once that you can usually put them on one more time with out it costing you the video fee again.

Yep- a good rep is what you need...They can do a whole lot in promoting your cattle, not only with the video- but with area buyers to get them involved with the bidding- and guarantee you get the price you want or they are POed....And they can do a lot to work with you to set up where, how, and when you ship them that best fits you and gets you the best bottom dollar...

We have sold on Superior for the last 12 or 15 years.

A lot depends on the rep, but if you sit and watch the sale, you get the impression that:

1. weight and sex are paramont with little steers getting the best and big heifers the least - not a suprise. A lot of the sellers understate their weights assuming the slide won't penalize them as much as they gain in a higher price. (We show last year's shipping weights on our listing.)

2. There doesn't seem to be much attention to whether a calf is implanted or not.

3. angus and red angus usually sell well.

4. geography is important with remote locations being docked for transportation costs - and why not?

5. really well managed/closed herds don't usually get the premium they are expecting.

6. a good representative is absolutely key

7. buyers who get good cattle will come back the next year.

8 don't give a 2% shrink and the buyers will take 2% off their bids

9 Superior doesn't always do a good job of film editing. Our rep takes about 10-12 minuites of film which is edited down to about one minute. They don't always take the best one minute. We had one charlais calf in a herd of 750 and guess who is on the film - and it isn't even included in the sale.

10 VAC 34 immunizations are about the minumum. Many buyers won't bid on calves that don't have their shots.

All in all, it saves a lot of money for the seller. The last year we sold at the local auction, we took a 4.5% shrink on a 80 mile trip

Watching the sale progress through the day you can see times where a bidder or two will drop out for lunch or whatever and the price drops a few cents. Even seen a nickle within an hour.

PM me if you want the name of some good reps in Wyoming or Montana-we've dealt cattle with them for years and they'll do a good job for you.

Latest posts