• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Today Is the Day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
5,161
Reaction score
32
Location
BC
we see what our year's work is worth. Got all our preg testing, sorting and loading out of the way over the last two days. Hope the calves don't look too shrunk out today, they've been off the cows since Tues morning.
 

gcreekrch

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
11,645
Reaction score
501
Location
west chilcotin bc
Good Luck Silver. My sister and BIL sold at Williams Lake yesterday, onje group of 611 lb steers dollared at $960 and a lighter group at 552 lbs brought a touch over $900.

We are still negotiating with the buyer that got our calves last year.
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
29,609
Reaction score
773
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Silver said:
we see what our year's work is worth. Got all our preg testing, sorting and loading out of the way over the last two days. Hope the calves don't look too shrunk out today, they've been off the cows since Tues morning.


I must be missing something here.
Why would you take calves off the cow on Tuesday morning
to sell on Thursday morning?
 

gcreekrch

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
11,645
Reaction score
501
Location
west chilcotin bc
Faster horses said:
Silver said:
we see what our year's work is worth. Got all our preg testing, sorting and loading out of the way over the last two days. Hope the calves don't look too shrunk out today, they've been off the cows since Tues morning.


I must be missing something here.
Why would you take calves off the cow on Tuesday morning
to sell on Thursday morning?

Likely because it is a long haul to the sale barn and it gives the calves a chance to fill up after they arrive. One of the bennies of living in the sticks.
 

Justin

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
4,785
Reaction score
0
Location
NW South Dakota
Faster horses said:
Silver said:
we see what our year's work is worth. Got all our preg testing, sorting and loading out of the way over the last two days. Hope the calves don't look too shrunk out today, they've been off the cows since Tues morning.


I must be missing something here.
Why would you take calves off the cow on Tuesday morning
to sell on Thursday morning?

i was wondering the same.


regardless...best of luck, Silver.
 

Nicky

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,373
Reaction score
305
Location
N.E. Oregon
good luck!!! Wyrancher's go today too.

Gcreek, I'd say your sis and BIL should be happy!
 

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 5, 2007
Messages
1,669
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Alberta,Canada
Good luck Silver !

Mine were and sorted last week during herd health too . They will be going the end of the month. They sell as preconditioned and usually to the same local buyers every year .
 

littlejoe

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
0
Location
Montana, East Slope
hillsdown said:
Good luck Silver !

Mine were and sorted last week during herd health too . They will be going the end of the month. They sell as preconditioned and usually to the same local buyers every year .

Do them guys around picture butte, 'feedlot alley' still feed lotsa calves?
 

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
5,161
Reaction score
32
Location
BC
Well we're back and reasonably happy. Had one bunch of 30 steers averaged 658 lbs, got $143.50 /cwt for $924 per calf. 51 more at 592 lbs 143.25 /cwt for $848, and on it goes. Even sold a little late born steer calf, 310 lbs for $2.08 / lb. Open yrlgs at 938 lbs fetched 118.50 pr cwt. We were quite satisfied all in all, although it was disappointing to see our blonde x calves take a nickle less than the simmies and red angus. Some years it's like that I guess.
My cousin sold a popping set of simmie steers 738 lb average for $1059 per head ($143.50 per cwt). 'Course I don't want to calve when he calves so he's welcome to the extra $$$ for his efforts :D
 

Latest posts

Top