• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Y’all be careful-life is short

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
This morning I met a guy who drew a limited entry archery permit for mule deer on the unit where I live and ranch. We left our valley at 5 headed for the mountain to unload 4 wheelers and go look for bucks on a scouting trip. We followed our water master and his wife up until they turned off at our reservoir. I knew they were turning off the water this morning and thought nothing of it as Burke and I went on to the mountain. When I got home around 9:30 I noticed the fire station had activity and the guys were parking a truck. Our water master had turned off the water and then unloaded a four wheeler and was spraying weeds along the dam and around the irrigation intake. His wife was moving their truck and didn't witness exactly what happened but somehow the four wheeler rolled and Kent was killed. People camping at the reservoir did CPR until our fire guys arrived. Even a helicopter was dispatched and they attempted many life saving techniques but were unable to revive him. He was a fine man without an enemy in the valley which isn't the easiest thing when you are water master in a dry country. He was a tall man with a deep laugh and a kind heart. He was a great dad to his four girls and one son. He was a fine neighbor and a better friend. And now he's gone. In the blink of an eye. Please keep the Child family in your prayers as they will surely need it. I went and saw his wife as soon as I heard. She just sobbed and hugged me. All I could do or say wasn't adequate so I just hugged her back and offered help and love from our family and town. I surely feel for her and her kids. Thankfully the kids are grown. Kent was 60 and much, much to young.
And please take an extra second to be safe on your places around wheelers and all equipment. Look at slopes and grades and use caution. Think about what your are doing before you do it. Don't get in a position where that machine can crush you or roll over you. And hug your loved ones A LOT. Ya just never know when ya can't anymore. At least he died doing what he loved and had his wife close by.

Sorry for the loss of your friend and neighbor.

One of the advantages I have with the quad is that I never had one until I was 60. Way back in high school the first two times I got on a dirt bike I had a mild wreck. As a result I never rode them. So although I am on my quad every day I am basically a chicken heart when riding it. Fun the things that scare me yet I rode bucking horses and fell timber for years.......

Again sorry to hear of your loss.

May I ask a favor of y'all please? The oldest daughter called me today and asked if I'd sing at the graveside service Friday. I haven't sang in public for twenty years. But how do ya tell somebody no in a time like this? So I told her I would. My daughter will play guitar and they want me to sing Country Roads by John Denver. I would appreciate y'all sending a few prayers that I can contain my emotions and honor my friend. I'm as scared as I've been in a long while. Thank you kindly

Tough duty but you can do it. Concentrate on the words of the song and no other thoughts. I have a cousin who read some things at a couple of family funerals. I don't know how she made it through without breaking up. She said she concentrated on the words she was reading not any meanings.
I will keep you in my prayers.

Well. Leanin, I will say some prayers for you, but just be yourself and don't plan anything. If you break down that just means you are a human and it is an appropriate response. If you do break down, I am guessing others will pick up the song and help fulfill the family's wishes.

It is not about being strong but being human and honoring your friends' life. Maybe ask others to sing with you from the get-go.

Well I wanna send a sincere thank y'all for the extra Heavenly assistance. We were able to sing at the service today and we had some wonderful compliments. What was important to me and Little H was that Kent's family were touched and so grateful for our efforts. Little H plays a fine guitar and I managed to not mess up any words and stay close to the right keys. Thanks much for your support. And Praise God for His blessings and for sending His strength to overcome my weakness.

Latest posts