• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ok I'll put up something about cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jedstivers

Reaction score
And not just useless jibber.
I know most of y'all are cow calf and I have a little herd of mamas but what I like most is calves.
I buy 5wts and take them to 8/9wts and send to Oklahoma City.
I feed corn and ddg.
I start buying in October and buy till Christmas, this year I bought in April the day after I sold out of the winter calves. Ran them till last week and shipped.
I won't start buying back till after harvest is over or almost over.
I've always been told calves won't gain here in the summer but that is proved wrong now, I'll keep doing summer calves and want to get to where I'm buying year round and shipping a load a month.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Seems like you are getting system figured out, If you got the feed you might as well add value to it.
I grow the corn but have to buy the ddg. Last winter it cost .47 to put a pound on.

jedstivers said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Seems like you are getting system figured out, If you got the feed you might as well add value to it.
I grow the corn but have to buy the ddg. Last winter it cost .47 to put a pound on.

I don't think anybody could do it any cheaper, if they say they can it's probably not true :D

Jed, if you don't mind some time maybe post the nutrition facts on the mix. I can't get ddg cheaply but have access to other feed stuffs

I'll try and dig out last years stuff and see if I can copy and past it.
I was pricing my corn at 4.12 cause I was getting paid that for it and the first ddg I bought was 163/ton but I changed to a off grade that was a lot cheaper.
Also was feeding mineral and ctc in it too.

Jed, do you just feed that to get them through the winter, or do you keep supplementing after grass gets here? I like to rough a 5 wt through the winter and sell a big summer yearling, but I taper them off feed just as soon as grass gets here in March or April. Wondering how you do yours, because I'm always up for learning something.

I expect my environment is similar to yours. I can get some good gains on grass through June, but they really need to be gone by the middle of July or else they get stale. I keep them longer sometimes, but they don't do much from the middle of July through August except stand around in ponds and lay in the shade. When I do keep them past the middle of July, I frequently have to start caking them again just to keep them going until it cools off and we start getting rain again.

I feed that every day the whole time they are here.
Well actually I start them on a pellet feed to get them going but after that they are on full feed.
It varies by weight class is all.
I run more per acre than can graze. Use pasture as more of a parking lot than a pasture and don't have the effects of having them in a feedlot.
The 50 I ran this summer did however keep plenty of grass in front of them but had I not been feeding they would have been to dirt in no time. I sold a week ago.

I'm a little different in that I don't like to spend any more money on mine than I have to. Your deal sure seems to work for you, though, so I'm probably leaving some money on the table by being a cheapskate. If that 47 cent COG is all the way through from in/out, you can't beat that. I don't blame you for wanting to try them year around.

HEY GUYS in the South, Vigortone has a mineral called I.C.E. that helps keep the interior heat lower on cattle. I've never sold any
but I can tell you about it if you are interested. You would get it from a dealer near you, not from me. I'm just putting this out there in case you don't know about it.

Faster horses said:
HEY GUYS in the South, Vigortone has a mineral called I.C.E. that helps keep the interior heat lower on cattle. I've never sold any
but I can tell you about it if you are interested. You would get it from a dealer near you, not from me. I'm just putting this out there in case you don't know about it.

I would like to know about it but The heat is really not as big an issue as some people make it out to be. I have far nmore problems with Winter where we are in the 20's one day and 70 the next . The constant fluctuations is hard on calves. I also have woods that the cows run in during the summer

Faster horses said:
Does that help with fescue toxicity?

4Diamond said:
Jed you sold out just in time
Better to be lucky than good any day.
I was wanting to keep them three more weeks but was getting concerned about the numbers that are coming to town
Also had a good cool spell for shipping. That don't happen often in August.
They have a seven hour ride.

4Diamond said:
Faster horses said:
Does that help with fescue toxicity?

I'm not sure about that as we don't deal with fescue here. Vigortone does have a special mineral for fescue that many past members have tried with great results. I will check on the I.C.E. and see if it has any properties that will help grazing fescue. Please realize I'm not trying to sell anything, but rather inform people of what is available. You would get it from a dealer near you.

So I assume vigortone does region specific mineral . what works in TN does not work here

Latest posts