• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Building a herd?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BuckJones

Reaction score
So my lifelong goal of having my own cattle one day is going to come true this spring. My uncle has sold his wild herd and we will be buying about 10 cows and a new bull sometime this year.
The goal is to produce feeder calves. Aside from structural soundness, my uncle has only specified the following criteria that are important to him:
- Docility
- Calving Ease
- Mothering ability

So for cows, I was thinking of trying to find some AngusXhereford F1's. Theoretically, this should maximize longevity and optimize milking and mothering ability.
For a sire, i'm thinking of going with this guy:
Our%20boy%2031W-on%20right.jpg

Replacement heifers will not be kept.
This is my plans in a nutshell. Am I missing anything that might only be learned from experience?

You have the right idea. make sure U don't get hung up on one trait or another. And if your not worried about raising your own replacements then mothering ability will not be an issue as far as the bull is concerned. Because all his calves will be sold in the end. Just calving ease and Docility. Another question that needs to be asked is. What kind of calving scenario are You throwing these cows into? I ask because I calve on grass. Calf vigor is very important. And I have owned bulls that have little to no calf vigor. So make sure U don't go overboard on selecting docile cattle. because in my experience the two traits seem to go hand in hand. I want a calf that's tuff. One that will get up and keep up. And with that being said my cattle are not exactly friendly. But if you might be calving in the winter time in sheds and a very controlled environment. Then that's a moot point. In the long run how I like to think of it is like this. I want a cow who's good at everything. Not exceptional at one thing. Because when You go to extreme in one trait another related trait suffers. So a good middle of the road cow is usually your best bet.

Thanks.
I'm thinking that when he said docile...I'm sure he meant more so than the ones he just sold...meaning they won't run half way around the world as soon as they see ppl, or attack anyone. :p
They area they are kept in during calving time is mostly treed.
I would prefer just to go straight lim-flex with black calves...but my uncle doesn't like angus and loves hereford so my compromise is black herefords.
I would also love it if they were all either black baldy or diluted calves and no reds, but I will run some regressions to see if colour significantly effects price at auction before we decide anything.

Sounds like a plan...
It is nice if you can find a consistent supplier of replacement females, as it helps with genetics and herd health.
Look at the docility EPD on a LM bull, that will tell you a lot. Other than that, the best way to learn is through experience, and the best way to get experience is to dive in.
Good luck, and I like your plan... :D

Thanks for the advice. :)

I've just gotten #'s on the bull in prev. post.
BW - 71
WW- 775
YW - 1240

Will have to ask for doc but his sire is at 26 for that trait. I'm not too worried. He's from a herd which individuals walk up to us (strangers) in pasture and a pen of bulls that are too happy to stand and be scratched.

Latest posts