• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

shaver beef blend

Help Support Ranchers.net:

peacecountry said:
thanks everybody for the imfo.moosemen is only about 15 hours away from here.have some family there. silver what part of bc do you hale in hows the pine beetle treeting you.

Fortunatelty not a lot of pine trees in my area, many of the pine we have are now red.
I am in the North Peace area, west of Fort St. John. Where are you at?

PureCountry said:
Highly mongrelized cows - I would expect performance, but not consistency across the calf crop

I get a kick out of people that assume 'mongrelized' cows must be inconsistant. That may be true with a poor management system, but with a poor management system even the 'pure' herds are uneven.
Of course, maybe my 'mongrelized' herd is inconsistent by your standards. :wink:

How many generations of breeding before you can call a group xbred cattle a breed? What are the selection criteria used to select for the breed? I know Tom Lasater had definite goals and selection criteria in forming the beefmaster breed.

silver good to here from ya . i live sw of beaverlode not at the end of the world but i can see it from were im at.my wife is from ft.st john.i go to sunset pasture often to help friends. beutiful place .

Hello all :)
I have a Shaver Beefblend herd here in Manitoba. I have been breeding and marketing Shaver Beefblend since 1994. Some of the comments made are true, some are close and there is one about a bull having a frame score of 10 and 3000lbs that is 100% wrong. Have said that there are some that are too big for my liking.

A little about us, four years ago we choose to become a forage only program and quit chasing the feedlot version of performance cattle. Cattle were put here to eat what pigs and chikens can't, forage not grain. These cattle are solid dark red, fertile, feed efficient and docile. Mature bulls will weigh 2200 give or take. Right now our two year olds in January averaged about 1700. Don Shaver's (he's retired now)goal for a grain developed bull was 1800lbs at 2yrs old.

We don't like to reveal alot about the genetic makeup so as to avoid any bias against any one breed, but all breeds used were used for a certain economic trait, each breed complimenting the other. It is the combination and recombination that keeps the genetics consistent. Email me if you wish at harper4@ goinet .ca with cattle in the subject. Have a good one people. :D

Yeah,

I love honesty and openness about a breeding program. Sounds like you'd love to sell us a litte "Love Potion #9" to breed with.

No thanks.

This is an interesting thread. You have to give a lot of credit for a guy that wil do the studying, take the risk, the investment, and the time to develop a breed or a line of cattle to fill a certain need. I think it would take a lifetime to get where you want. I would congragulate someone who could keep his eye on that goal that long.

Welcome to the board, the more the merrier. I hope I get to see your herd someday.

As for the Frame 10 bull, I remember him in the ABS directory clear as a bell toll. He was 64 or 65" at the hip, making him Frame 9-9.5, my mistake. I had a few lengthy discussions about the breed with the rep at that time, and that bull in particular. At any rate, I'd like to see some of them nowdays.

composites said:
Thanks for the welcome people, sounds like an interesting group. Speaking of groups, how about those Canadian atheletes. Go Canada Go!

Hello Composites. Nice to see you show up here. It is a good group to share ideas with though I have only participated for a short time myself. Hope you enjoy. For all other users I would like to say from knowing composites for a while he is a sincere, conscientious, honest cattleman and grass farmer and even a nicer guy.

Go Canada go. :!:

composites said:
Thanks Dylan back at ya.
Good to hear from you. How are things. Lots & lots of snow here but temps are good.

6 to 7 inches on the flat. Better than nothing. We will need to get a lot of moisture to reverse our drought conditions that have grown into a hydrological drought. Temps good here now to.

Dylan,

The last time I was in the Special Areas it was a wet year and they had the best crops they ever saw- 27 bushels to the acre on hard red spring wheat. Drought is the normal condition for the Special Areas. Much of it is 60 acres to the animal unit grazing because of this.
For those not familiar with the Special Areas in Alberta, in the dust bowl days the counties and towns in the area all went bankrupt since no one could pay taxes. The province got the land back and leased out the best ground on a share crop arrangement (one sixth the crop on grain) and the rest on grazing leases. Most of the lease holders whre the former owners. When I was there the towns still had 1920's buildings frozen in time- a real museum. I don't mean to knock the area but it is a tough place to make a living off the land. The guys that do best farm big with many sections of land. One guy told me he was a part time farmer with 9 sections!

VLS-Guy

Not too many people know the history of where we live here in the Special Areas.
Very pleasant surprise to hear from someone on this topic especially from California. Still drought prone and what I heard this weekend at a conference on historical weather patterns based on tree ring data we shouldn't be surprised if it intensifies. You are not knocking the area it is what it is. From my experience the guys that do the best here refrain from farming, run cattle instead and only ask of the land what it can provide while leaving ample drought reserves.

Thanks for the note :) :)

Don't like to be a closet reader. Gotta vouch for some very good cattle that I saw out their at the Harper ranch in Brandon and also add -----

Way to go Sid the Kid. Canada breaks the record for the winter Olympics with 14 gold. Awesome. :D

Randy

Latest posts