My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Re: My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

Post by mrj » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Sweetbasil, as this year, 2015, such a challenging one for you, winds down, please realize that your friends are praying for a wonderful 2016 for you.

Like a new chapter in a book, so it can be in life. Because life of ranchers is so dependent upon the weather, 2015 has been a great blessing for us, except for current cattle prices, and due to the exceptional hay crop, we can hold ours for a while and hopefully get better prices. Not necessarily what we will do, but kept them to sell as yearlings in past years when we had adequate feed and pastures. It is good to have choices in so many areas of life.

We've had a good week-end, so far. Our youngest grand daughter was in a figure skating show which we attended last night. Their skate club is comprised of younger kids than a few years ago, so it wasn't quite as spectacular, but there must have been about 30 from tiny tots, maybe only 3 or 4 years old, up to some older high school students. So quite a range of abilities, and great to see older kids helping the smaller ones. Their club is strongly supported by the parents, and we noticed some even doing the janitorial work in the city owned ice arena. They had another performance this afternoon, and at church this evening, a friend mentioned a Rapid City TV station showed a bit of the action, so that was great publicity for them.

Today, an older grand daughter graduated from Black Hills State University and it was pretty special to share that milestone in her life. She will be seeking full time work, after several years of working summer jobs in tourism, and Tourism and Hospitality Business is her field of study. She does like living in the Black Hills and hopes to stay in that area for a while.

On top of all that, our weather continues above average comfort for 'almost winter' time. I noticed joggers in Rapid City enjoying the weather as much as ranchers do! One of them was our dau in law. She and both of her girls are avid runners.

mrj

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:09 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Well they can test your antifreeze for strength as to what temp it is good for and if it needs topping up.
Your windshield washer fluid should be the winter stuff. I think up here we just have winter or summer/ You can pick that up about anywhere.
Good luck
Hi BMR,
Thank you! I didn't get around to getting it service in Minnesota, but I will get Luigi winterized tomorrow and get an oil change.

Have a great Sunday,
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:10 am

Faster horses wrote:Good thing Big Muddy is paying attention. I missed the ANTIFREEZE part. And as usually he gives good advice.
(He raised a daughter so he is alert to these things.) :D
BMR,
Always gives good advice... :)

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:14 am

Faster horses wrote:Happy to hear you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, mrj. We went to the Community Hall and had a very delicious dinner. Our daughter and her fellow joined us along with some new friends we have made. (You can't have too many friends, right?) The 6 year old little boy of the new friends was kicking the dirt with his boot and looking down. He told us, 'we went to the store and bought a turkey. It would have been a lot more fun if we had shot one." :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

:lol: :lol:

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:19 am

[quote="Martin Jr."]Just don't forget, Ella, that your friends here on Ranchers.net are still here keeping you on our minds and in our prayers.[/q

Hello Martin,
Thank you. I went to Nebraska and signed the divorce. I am currently waiting on the judge to sign them. The whole thing hit me the, night before but I trust in God to get me through it. I have buried myself in work lately which is a good thing, because I have been Ella of all trades and they are giving me more work. I promised myself I am not going to let it get to me and I trust that God will heal the wound completely in His time. I thank you for the prayers and to the rest of my family here at Ranchers.net for the support throughout the years.

Have a blessed Sunday,
Ella

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:22 am

Sounds like you have it pretty well handled, Ella....you and God. Things like that are never easy, but time does heal. My God continue to bless you.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:31 am

Greetings Everyone,

Tonight, I attended my second Christmas concert and both had the same theme "God is love" and "He giving His only son for us was the ultimate expression of His love for us". I can truly say, yes, God is all about love and He desires for us to have a relationship with Him so that we too can get to experience His unconditional love and in return, be able to channel it to others. I see "kindness as love in action" but there are many ways to demonstrate love and the best way to demonstrate love to others is in the form of a deed. Since I moved to Midwest and got to experience the long and cold winter days, I couldn't help but think of my brothers and sisters who are homeless. When I volunteered at the Salvation Army serving breakfast, it really made a great impact in my life because for the grace of God, I too could be homeless. I believe there are many ways to express love and one of them is to give to others. There are many ways that we can give, some may be by giving sharing a kind word to someone, in the form of a gifts. Gifts do not need to be monetary, but they can be in the form of forgiveness, offering a listening ear, a kind word, etc. Christmas is just around the corner and the sales are getting bigger and fatter and the the wallets smaller trying to buy everything and there mother that we think we "need" or "must have" and sometimes, it trying to keep up with the Jones next door. This year, I refused to buy myself a gift for Christmas and I don't want any gifts. What I dearly want is something that only God knows when I will get to have it, but if I think about it, I have everything because I am alive with good health and a roof over my head. I started a tradition when I go to Minnesota, I stopped by local Homeless shelter and bring supper to my friends, it is nothing special, but just a way to spend sometime with them and every time I leave that location, I appreciate all that I have been given in a different way. Do you like to keep your feet warm? I do too! How lucky we are that we get to have a washer and dryer to keep our socks clean, but also, how blessed we are to have more than just a few pair. There are so many little things we can do to some of the blessings we have been given. So, I thought, what could I possibly do to make each and everyone feel a tiny bit special?????
The idea of having warm feet came to mind, so here I am... I purchased packages of socks for men and women and wrapped them individually. Instead of just having supper and sharing a meal, this time, I thought, well, if I get a gift card so that he/she can buy himself a meal for Christmas, what would it be? After robbing ME, MYSELF, and ELLA, I was able to figured out a creative way to give back... a $6.50 gift card. I just learned that Subway has a $6 meal which includes a sandwich, drink, and chips. Why am I sharing with you? I am sharing this with you because I want to remind ourselves that there are people in our communities who could use some of the simplest necessities such as a pair of socks. I hope that we all can remember to try to give back in any way we can and that 2016 be a year that we can share more words of encouragement, forgiveness, and love. My little corner of the world here at Ranchers.net make me feel loved and I have no words to thank the many of you who so many times have shared a word of encouragement when I have needed the most.

Merry Christmas!
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:33 am

Faster horses wrote:Sounds like you have it pretty well handled, Ella....you and God. Things like that are never easy, but time does heal. My God continue to bless you.
Hello "Faster Horses!"
Thanks to people like you who have taught me so much in 2015 that I am able to keep standing.

Sending you a blizzard of virtual hugs!
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:36 am

I forgot to mentioned that I made my final payment to the lawyer the day that I signed the papers!!!!!!! A lot of weight have been lifted off my shoulders and I will start 2016 getting on my feet financially and pay everything so I can start building my savings. I finally will stop robbing Sweetbasil to pay Ella! LOL

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:46 am

sweetbasil wrote:
Faster horses wrote:Sounds like you have it pretty well handled, Ella....you and God. Things like that are never easy, but time does heal. My God continue to bless you.
Hello "Faster Horses!"
Thanks to people like you who have taught me so much in 2015 that I am able to keep standing.

Sending you a blizzard of virtual hugs!
Sweetbasil
I think you have taught us "People" at ranchers quite a bit. :D

Merry Christmas

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Post by mrj » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Big Muddy and Faster Horses, I'm so blessed to have actually met Sweetbasil/Ella in person. She is at sweet and wise as she appears in her writing, and more! The few times we have visited in person was totally fun. She is so up-beat and interesting to visit with. However........like talking with my third grand daughter, you do have to listen fast.....as she talks fast.

Ella, I'm a bit jealous......of the excellent concerts you have attended! We are going to one this afternoon by the Crooners, a small group of local men with a woman pianist, and another as director. They are good! Have been going roughly 25 years, since the Midland, SD Centennial celebration got a group together to sing songs from the various era's of the history of the town. It is based out of Philip with people from various communities involved, and is a little smaller, as is our area population. Some travel quite a distance, though. Today is to honor Lee Schonniger who died a few weeks ago. It is a benefit to raise money to buy a piano for the Legion Hall at Philip, a facility used often for community events and large funerals, including the one for Lee. Unfortunately, today there are several events related to Christmas, so some hard choices are being made. Ours was to skip our own church Christmas pageant and Tea, for this one time event in honor of a wonderful friend.

Another even is an open house at a local bed and breakfast owned by friends. We hope to do a 'rain check' on that when our daughter is home from the Omaha area. Our daughters are friends, so we hope they can all find a day for it.
The house is a special one, too, as it is a Sears Roebuck house (hope I got that right!) which the grandfather of the current owner built many years ago, and the current owners have carefully restored, mostly with their own hands.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. And that you have good roads for meeting and returning your mother to the airport in the 'Twin Cities', Ella.

mrj

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Forgiveness vs. Bitterness

Post by sweetbasil » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Greetings Everyone,
Are you struggling with anger and perhaps feeling depressed? Circumstances can take our focus away from God and bitterness and unforgiveness can settled in our hearts. Do you know that thoughts of anger and depression are associated with unforgiveness? Forgiving those who done us wrong is a choice we need to make and it is not an easy thing to do. The price that we pay if we do not forgive others is very high. At the end of the day, I need to ask myself, "who am I hurting myself or the other person when I don't forgive?" but also, "why would I try to be more self-righteous than God that I can't truly forgive, when God himself forgives me?"

God will teach you how to truly forgive others if you ask Him to help you. For example, I thought I had forgiven certain people that did me wrong, yes, indeed, I forgiven them to the degree that I was ready to forgive at that time; however, God then came along and showed me that I still had forgiven to do about three weeks ago. I was shocked and surprised, but I knew there was something not right because when I thought of these people, I felt angry and it is not my nature to hold anger in my heart. I asked God for guidance and He answered by having someone give me a copy of the exercise below. I not only had thoughts of anger about those people, but I also felt a heavy cloud over me and not at peace. I came home that night and visited with God in prayer prior to doing this exercise and after 1.5 hours, I was shown that there were 38 people that I needed to forgive. It was difficult to remember their names for some of these individuals. Remember, when we are Striving to Live and Love God's Way, we must have our hearts right with God, and that includes, we must truly forgive others.

I can't give credit to the author, because I do not know who the author is who put together this exercise. I pray that it will blessed you, remove any unforgiveness out of your heart, and set you free to be filled with God's loving presence and peace.

"Bitterness vs. Forgiveness

We need to forgive others in order to be free from our pasts and to prevent Satan from takig advantage of us (see 2 Cor. 2:10-11). We are to be merciful just as our Heavenly Father is merciful (see Luke 6:36) We are to forgive as we have been forgiven (see. Eph. 4:31-32). Ask God to bring to mine the names of those people you need to forgive by expressing the following prayer aloud:

Dear Heavenly Father,
I thank You for the riches of Your kidness, forbearance, and patience,, knowing that Your kidness has let me to repetance (Rom. 2:4). I confess that I have not extended that same patince & kidness towards others who have offended me, but instead I have harbored bitterness and resentment. I pray that durng this time of self-examination You would bring to my mind thoe people that I need to forgive in order that I may do so (Matt. 18:35). I ask ths in the precious name of Jesus, Amen.

AS names come to mind, make a list of only the names. At the end of the list, write "myself". Forgiving yourself is accepting God's cleansing and forgiveness. Also, write "thoughts against God". Throughts raised up against God will usually result in angry feelings towards Him. Technically, we can't forgive God because He cannot commit any sin of commission or ommission. But we need to specifically renounce false expectations and thoughts about God and agree to release any anger we have toward Him.

Before you pray to forgive these people, stop and consider what forgiveness is, what is not, what decision you will be making, and what the consequences will be.In the follwing explanation, the main points ar in bold print:
1. Forgiveness is not forgetting. People who try to forget find they cannot. God says He will remember our sins "no more" (see Heb. 10:17), but CGod, being omniscient, cannot forget. Remember our sins "no more" mean that God will never use the past against us (see. Psa. 103:12). Forgetting may be the result of forgiveness, but is never the means of forgiveness.

2. Forgiveness is a choice, a crisis of the will. Since God requires us to forgive, it is something we can do. However, forgiveness is difficult for s because it pulls against our concept of justice. We want revenge for offenses suffered. However, we are told never to take our own revenge (see. Rom. 12:19). You say, "Why shoud I let them off the hook?" That is precisely the problem. You are still hooke to them, still bound by your past. You will le wet them off your hook, but they are never off God's. He will deal with them fairly, something we cannot do.
You say, " You don't understand how much this person hurt me!" But don't you see, they are still hurting you! How do you stop the pain? You don't forgive someone for their sakes; you do it for you sake so you can be free. Your need to forgive isn't an issue between you and the offender; its between you and God.

Forgiveness is agreeing to live with the consequences of another person't sin. Forgiveness is costly. You pay the price of the evil you forgive. You're going to live with those consequences whether you want to or not; your only choice is whether you wil do so in the bitterness of unforgiveness or the freedom of forgiveness. Jesus took the consequences of your sin upon Himself. All true forgiveess is substitutionary because on one really forgives without bearing the consequences of your sin upon Himself. God the Father "made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Cor. 5:21/ Where is the justice? It's the cross that makes forgiveness legally ad morally right: "For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all". Rom 6:10.

Decide that you will bear the burdens of their offenses by not using that information against them in the future. This dos not mean that you tolerate sin. You must set-up scriptural booundaries to prevent future abuse. Some may required to testify for the sake of justice but not for the purpose of seeing revenge from a bitter heart.

How do you forgive from the heart? You acknowledge the hurt and the hate. If your forgiveness doesn't visit the emotional core of your life, it will be incomplete.Many feel the pain of interpersonal offenses, but they won't or don't know how to acknowledge it. Let God bring the pain to the surface so He can deal with it. This is where the healing takes place.

Don't wait to forgive until you feel like forgiving; you wil never get there. Feelings take time to heal after the choice to forgive is made and Satan has lots his place (see. Eph. 4:26-27). Freedom is what will be gained, not a feeling.

As you pray, God may bring you to mind offending people and experiences you have totally forgotten. Let Him do it even if it is painful. Remember, you are doing this for your sake. God wants you to be free. Don't rationalzie or explain the offender's behavior. Forgiveness is dealing with your pain and leaving the ther person to God. Positive feelinsg will follow in time; freeing yourself from the past is the critical issue right now.

Don't say "Lord, please help me to forgive, " because He is already helping you. Don't say, "Lord, I Want to forgive, "because you are bypassing the hard-core choice to forgive which is your responsibility. Stay with each individual until you are sure you have dealt with all the remembered - what they did, how they hurt you, how they made you feel (rejected, unloved, unworthy, dirty, etc.).

You are now ready to forgive the people on your list so you can be free in Christ, with those people no longer having any control over you. For each person on your list, pray aloud:

Lord, I forgive (name of the person) for (verbally share every hurt and pain the Lord brings to your mind and how it made you feel).

After you have forgiven every person for every painful memory, then finish this step by praying:
Lord, I release all of these people to you, and my right to seek revenge. I choose not to hold onto my bitterness and anger, and I ask You to heal my damaged emotions. In Jesus name I pray. Amen." Author Unknown.

Blessings,
Sweetbasil