• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hello From Washington/Oregon (Vancouver/Portland Area)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thanks for the advice.

Would it be possible to run on smaller scale first, while working 40 hrs per week or part time job in town? I do have some savings (more than 60 cows but not close enough for 300 cows from the price point you quoted). So let's say I get 60 cows. Would the annual revenue be enough to cover the land lease, operating expenses and tax (without much profit for the years until I can gain experience and reinvest my money from job to expand the herd)? My focus is getting the experience about running a ranch correctly while staying afloat.

I will look into FSA programs, but I won't jump right into it as @DosArroyos cautioned.
Yes, I ran 100 cows while working a 40 hour a week job. Of course at that point I had lots of experience. Start small. Learn not to sweat the small stuff. Learn not to spend money you don't have to.

Yes, I ran 100 cows while working a 40 hour a week job. Of course at that point I had lots of experience. Start small. Learn not to sweat the small stuff. Learn not to spend money you don't have to.
Thanks for the advices.

I am kinda comfortable enough to live below the mean/ the living standard I see many people have. I don't mean not take care of myself, but not spend on luxury out of necessity. My electronic devices, laptop, cars, phones... are all old for example.

I am more into eating well with good healthy food source via home cooking. I don't mean the all organic stuff. When I start to learn to read the label, I realize for some reason, despite the strong agri production in America, somehow in the market, there are still plenty of import meats. Perhaps it is different in other area, but organic labeled stuffs seems to be dominated by foreign imports. Call me fool, but coming from a different country, I don't trust the agri foreign producers to upheld the same expectation/standard. Organic doesn't mean food if the organic input was unhealthy to begin with. The import process is long enough to allow some loopholes and mistakes for dishonest people to exploit.

Thanks for the advice.

Would it be possible to run on smaller scale first, while working 40 hrs per week or part time job in town? I do have some savings (more than 60 cows but not close enough for 300 cows from the price point you quoted). So let's say I get 60 cows. Would the annual revenue be enough to cover the land lease, operating expenses and tax (without much profit for the years until I can gain experience and reinvest my money from job to expand the herd)? My focus is getting the experience about running a ranch correctly while staying afloat.

I will look into FSA programs, but I won't jump right into it as @DosArroyos cautioned.
Take a year vacation
Go work for someone for free
See how you like it

Latest posts