Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef

Post by Faster horses » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:46 am

It's assumed that every pays the same price...tain't so...you know what assume means...

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Do we ignore the problem and it will go away?

Has that worked in the past with regulation ect,?

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:41 pm

What is is they say, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"..
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Traveler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Except that these aren't regulations. My take is that the end game is to shut producers out of the market that don't toe the line, and even place organization guidelines calling for limitations of red meat consumption. We've already seen calls for future market exclusions for producers that don't abide by BQA. The environmental aspects, such as
Net greenhouse gas emissions from the beef value chain are minimized on a per unit of product basis.
are what I find most concerning. The fact that NCBA joined this group in 2012, and internal media reports seem nonexistent, indicate that some red flags need to go up. We need support of our industry and it's inherent sustainability as a whole, not an obligatory anal exam, and not involvement in a group that follows the climate change and "social responsibility" mantra.

Angus 62

Post by Angus 62 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Good post Traveler. Groups like WWF know they cannot accomplish their agenda through legislation. But they have found willing accomplices who have a similar goals. Which is turning the last independent livestock producers into contract chicken and hog farmers. By controlling the market they can dictate how you will operate, and you become a serf on your own land.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Angus 62 wrote:Good post Traveler. Groups like WWF know they cannot accomplish their agenda through legislation. But they have found willing accomplices who have a similar goals. Which is turning the last independent livestock producers into contract chicken and hog farmers. By controlling the market they can dictate how you will operate, and you become a serf on your own land.
That's been said for years....
Maybe it's getting closer. Is it?

graybull

Post by graybull » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Fowl and pig producers past life will seem like a picnic..........as they were only beholden to one master.........this new deal new green, new sustainability will be nothing short of eco slavery.........with dozens of masters telling you what to do and how to do it.

Angus 62

Post by Angus 62 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 am

Superior started a weekly fed cattle video auction several years ago. Weeks go by without a single head selling. Packers need to buy cattle every week, why don't they've use this auction? Two reasons, they don't have to because they already control that market and the last thing in the world they want is price discovery.

That is where this is headed. Put enough constraints on access to the market place under the disguise of sustainability and you control the market. When that happens you will be told what you will raise and how you will raise it. Don't believe me? Look at what happened to the pork.

How do we fight this? You have to cut the head off the snake. The legal battle over the Beef Checkoff isn't about support for promotion of beef. Those states recently included in this lawsuit funnel huge amounts of money to the NCBA. Did any of you vote to use your Checkoff dollars to join GRSB?

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Traveler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Some good points.

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Post by RSL » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 pm

This is an interesting discussion. I am not sure the GRSB certification is any more or less than any other certification at this point, although I can certainly see it being driven ahead by various industry players and maybe even becoming the "standard".
For the record we are certified in Canada through VBP+ and originally by "Where Food Comes From" through the CRSB pilot project. It was actually a worthwhile process for us and pointed out some areas that we could improve. A good example was that we did not have a farm safety plan. The point of the certification is to identify and work on continual improvement, which I know everyone is doing anyway.
I can't speak for anyone else but the certification has created some marketing opportunities for us, which is what drove us towards it anyway. We are already doing way more than the bare minimum and documenting it. This fall we sold our steers direct, for a premium to a VBP lot and although it was not a huge sum we received a cheque for calves we had sold in 2017 that were harvested in the summer of 2018. Those calves were sold privately at a premium last fall, so the cheque was a nice bonus surprise.
I am in favour of folks deciding what they want to do and pursue on their own and not being forced to comply, but over the last couple of years especially I have become pretty concerned about the social movement against beef that does not seem to be slowing down, listening or using logic in any way. This to me is a huge danger to the industry and I am not sure how to combat it, other than documenting what we are doing right and continuing to put it out there in the public eye. FWIW.
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Traveler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:59 pm

I found a video of the speaker that Angus 62 recommended. Interesting, and certainly some provocative sound bites he plays. Some may be offended that he's speaking at an R-CALF convention. He also spoke at Farm Bureau. Just listen to his message. I have always had some reservations about RFID tags that had purpose beyond the ranch. I now have some validation as to why.

Thank you Angus 62.

https://youtu.be/DIVQGPXB4sk

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Soapweed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:49 am

Tracy Hunt gave this presentation in Valentine last Thursday evening, February 7th, 2019. It is really eye-opening information of which we all need to be extremely aware. We can't let our guard down.